HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dan_Robbins
Dan_Robbins

Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... Empty
PostSubject: Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....   Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 4:48 pm

So I had my first visit to my Neurologist on Thursday. She admitted me straight away and ended up having my 2nd LP. she tried twice to get it in and it was so painful, she was waiting for me to tell her when I could feel the tingling in both legs but could only feel pain in left leg and back. It was horrendous! My doc said she would try once more as she was worried I wasn't coping well with the pain. So I told her to go for it and I just held my breath and stuck it out until I could feel the pain in my right leg too, and eventually we did it! But It was awful. My first LP pressure revealed opening pressure of 35, so the diamox should of brought that down right? Nah! It was still 35! grrr! So now as well as the diamox Im on Topiramate too. Last night my son was on youtube looking up LP's and we saw this 1 woman having an LP she had 1 local anesthetic (I had 5/6) Then the actual LP she didn't flinch at all! Like a walk in the park for her! Am I being a complete baby? I thought I had a good pain threshold! Anyone else think it's not that bad? If so have you any tips? Because I don't think I can have any more of those bad boys!
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....   Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 5:57 pm

It's different for most of us and it also depends on the experience of the neurologist doing it. You'll find if you have to have any more that some will be like that one and some will be painless. As you've acknowledge we all have different pain threshold.
In a way it's a bit like childbirth, everyone has a different take on it when it comes to pain etc. I've had some painless LP's, but then I've had some where they've hit the nerve everytime.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Dan_Robbins
Dan_Robbins

PostSubject: Re: Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....   Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Heidi I had mine lying on my left side in the fetal position, I know some have it sitting up crouched over. Do you think that makes a difference?
Back to top Go down
morrise
morrise

PostSubject: Re: Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....   Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 6:59 pm

My first Lp was like yours and I though it was always going to be like that. As Heidi says its mainly down to the experience of the neurologist doing them. I've had 9 Lp's only two bad ones, that tingling feeling in the legs is the worst pain ever!! I've always had them on my left side in the fetal position. I hope your medication starts working and you won't need another one any time soon xxx
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....   Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 7:02 pm

I've had them in both positions, and again it depended on who was doing it. I have to admit though sitting up was probably the better option, so ask about it next time you are due to have one, and discuss it with your neurologist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Dan_Robbins
Dan_Robbins

PostSubject: Re: Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....   Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Ok thank you, I think I will ask if I can have it sitting up and with a different doc. Both times was with the same doc as I requested her the second time, as I like to see the same faces, it makes me feel more comfortable. But I don't think I can experience that pain again. Thankyou for your advice ladies, fingers crossed for next time, if there is a next time! 9 LP's!!!.....oh lord :( x
Back to top Go down
Paper_Mache
Paper_Mache

PostSubject: Re: Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....   Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Yikes, that sounds really awful. Sorry you had to go through that. :(
I would consider having it done under a fluoroscope in the future. It's more time-consuming and you may have to set up a separate appointment (might be more expensive too, not sure), but it's worth it. When they can see the needle and tell what they're doing, the chances of them having to pull it out and try again are so small. No second attempts, no painful fiddling around. Just goes straight in. Of course there's still a risk of them hitting nerve. The radiologist doing mine managed to poke my sciatic nerve a bit, which created some very uncomfortable spasms, but I'm glad he didn't have to poke and prod around in there, especially since it was my first LP. I was already panicking pretty badly. So yeah, hope you have better luck in the future. LP's are no fun, but yay for being brave and sticking through it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....   Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!..... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lumbar Puncture painful or not?!!!!.....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top