HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

How often should I need a lumbar puncture?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tanyacj

Tanyacj

How often should I need a lumbar puncture? Empty
PostSubject: How often should I need a lumbar puncture?   How often should I need a lumbar puncture? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi, I had my first lp on 12th October and had an opening pressure of 37.5. I was taken down to 15 and told I would have a repeat lp in approx 6 weeks time. I only had 2 days relief and my symptoms were getting worse so I called my neurologist on Monday and she told me to come in the next day for a repeat lp (6th November). The opening pressure this time was 37.1. She's taken it down to 11.5 but I'm now suffering with low pressure headaches. Will I need an lp every 3 weeks or will it settle down? I had 2 ct scans done too, one before and one after the lp and the possibility of a stent has been mentioned but only in passing. Does anyone have any experience of a stent?
Thanks, Tanya
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: How often should I need a lumbar puncture?   How often should I need a lumbar puncture? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:45 pm

An LP doesn't usually control IIH by itself..it's really only supposed to be used as a diagnostic tool. I know there are physicians that suggest a drain every six weeks or so to manage IIH, but I've always been told that's barbaric..I guess I've been lucky! Are you taking any medications? I would think they'd be able to adjust your meds in order to help keep your pressure down..it's much less intrusive and will give your body time to heal. I haven't had a stent and don't know a lot about them, but hopefully other members will be able to give you more information about them.

I would keep your physician informed and make sure they evaluate you for a blood patch if your low pressure symptoms continue or get worse. Try drinking something w/ caffeine. You can also use cold packs and hot pads to help w/ swelling and discomfort at tap site. I hope you find some relief soon!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Julie
Back to top Go down
Tanyacj

Tanyacj

PostSubject: Re: How often should I need a lumbar puncture?   How often should I need a lumbar puncture? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 6:14 am

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

I was taking acetazolomide (diamox) but couldn't tolerate it so have been put on furosemide now so hopefully that will help.

Tanya
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: How often should I need a lumbar puncture?   How often should I need a lumbar puncture? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Tanya lumbar punctures aren't supposed to be done too often, and as you know it's done to bring the pressure down when your csf rises. If you are needing multiples of LP's then it's possible you will fall in to the chronic side of IIH, which could be why they are looking at other solutions such as the stent.

Hopefully some of the other members will be able to give you some information about stents if they have also had them done. I've only got experience with shunts and sub temporal decompressions I'm afraid.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often should I need a lumbar puncture?   How often should I need a lumbar puncture? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How often should I need a lumbar puncture?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top