HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Airline travel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sarthur8
sarthur8

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 7:47 pm

IIH and Flying
Airline Travel
Can I fly with IIH?
Flying
Air Travel

Hi Everyone,

I have only been diagnosed with IIH a few days ago and therefore have not been put on any medication or seen a Neurologist yet. I may not see him until Christmas time but I have planned a surprise trip to London for my daughters birthday in December and wondered if it is ok to fly with this condition?

I am so excited about taking my 14yr old for her surprise trip and would be very disappointed if I can't fly.

Thanks for listening

Stacey
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:23 pm

There isn't any reason why you can't fly, I know of many people with IIH who fly. Your symptoms could temporarily affect you when you are in the air, but then go when you are back on the ground, it isn't the same for everyone. I haven't found any medical information that says you can't fly, nor is there any on the IH Research Foundation. that said, still check with your Neurologist to be on the safe side, give either him or his secretary a ring and explain to them why you're checking.

Years ago I myself flew to Paris, and I was on Diamox and was OK for both that flight and the return flight, but it was only an hours flight so I'm not sure for one that is longer. As I mentioned before from what I know of other sufferers, they all seemed to fair OK.

Make sure you take ample supply of your prescribed medication with you in your bag, and make sure you get a letter from your doctor to explain why you have the medication to avoid problems at customs for instance. You'd probably have to inform your travel insurer too, to make sure you're covered. All the other usual do's and don'ts apply, such as stretching your legs, avoid alcohol etc..

Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
sarthur8
sarthur8

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi Heidi.

Thanks for the reply. I live in Northern Ireland so the flight to London should only take about 45 mins so I should be ok. It is so good to have this site as I am getting no information from GP and havent seen neurologist yet so you are my lifeline with this new diagnosis.

Really appreciate your support.

Many thanks

Stacey.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Hope you have a good flight and can't wait to hear all about your trip. If there is anything else you want to ask we're always here. for you
Back to top Go down
BananasMom
Admin2
Admin2
BananasMom

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Airline travel?   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 12:54 am

Can anyone share their experiences flying by airplane with IIH?

I have my first flight scheduled (to Disneyworld!! ☀ ) since being diagnosed with IIH over 2 years ago ... and I'm VERY excited about the trip, but also wondering what it's going to be like for my head. Can anyone let me know what to expect??
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:07 am

Hi! Very Happy :hello:

This is a really good question - I would also like to know the answer to this. I want to fly but I am worried about my Intra-Cranial Pressure and how this would be affected by being so high in the air!

Great question! I look forward to reading the responses Smile

:flower:
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:50 pm

As you can see from the post at the top, this is a topic that was covered sometime ago, and I have merged them so that all your posts are together. BananasMom, I hope they help answer your question. I would still talk to your Neurologist about it though as it is important what he thinks is right for you to do, but I'm sure he wont raise any objection.

As for fun rides some sufferers have no problems at all while some experience a headache later on, so it is probably different for everyone. I myself never experienced any problems on funfair rides, rollercoasters and such, but have to admit I've not been on any for a few years but mainly due to my back problems not the IIH. Very Happy

Last edited by Heidi on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BananasMom
Admin2
Admin2
BananasMom

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:11 pm

thank you Heidi for linking me up with this previous thread!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Thank you Heidi, you are a ray of ☀

:flower:
Back to top Go down
morrise
morrise

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 10:03 pm

I know this is an old forum I'm just having a look through everything. I just want to give my experience on flying. My IIH came back in November 2011 6 weeks before I was due to go travelling for 6 weeks to Las Vegas, New Zealand & Fiji. I was very nervous about flying but it was all ok.
I found the long haul flights were fine but the shorted flights Dublin to London, Auckland to Christchurch gave me headaches but they weren't too bad and as soon as I landed they were gone.
I also found that when we driving around New Zealand up and down mountains I would get headaches on the way up and would ease on the way down. I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced this.
Back to top Go down
BananasMom
Admin2
Admin2
BananasMom

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Those of you who were following my journey on twitter already know I made it through the flights just fine, but I wanted to share my experience here, also. Flying with IIH wasn't so bad! To me, it didn't feel that much different than it used to feel flying with a really bad head cold/congestion. The worst of the pain and pressure was definitely during the take off and the landing. But none of it was unbearable at all.

I'm really excited that it went so well for me, as it opens up a lot more options for future travel and fun! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sophiasmom
Admin2
Admin2
Sophiasmom

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 5:45 am

hello. I have not been able to tolerate the medication yet and have only recently been diagnosed. so my experiences with air travel are without treatment, other than treating my sleep apnea which does help a lot. I have noticed that sometimes, after a long day air traveling, I "crash" into severe fatigue, and can become so weak that I cannot climb the stairs or am hardly able to walk. I have thought it was my chemical sensitivity or just too much stress for my adrenals (I have adrenal insufficiency), but now I know it must be related to my intracranial pressure worsening from the altitude changes. I would think that if you are on medical treatment that is successful that you wouldn't have a problem.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:41 am

I flew in a 737 jet this past weekend, first flight post shunt. Ears did better than ever before, no headaches before, during or after. PHEW!! cheer
Back to top Go down
beautifulb

beautifulb

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi there!!

Thought I would add my 2 cents. I flew a 31/2 hour flight and the only effect I experienced was mild nausea. I took zofran and it went away., I would definitely go and enjoy!!Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Airline travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airline travel   Airline travel I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airline travel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ihaveiih.com :: Living with IIH ::   :: Group Huddle-
Jump to:  
DISCLAIMER This group is not managed by anyone in the medical profession, but by people who are either affected by, or are closely connected to IIH. Information provided on this site is meant to complement & not replace any advice or information from a health professional, users and members are reminded that medical professionals should always be consulted in all aspects of health needs.
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software
Top Disability Websites
Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com