HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

VP Shunt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sammishjo87
sammishjo87

VP Shunt Empty
PostSubject: VP Shunt   VP Shunt I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:10 pm

VP Shunt What is your experience?

So after almost 2 years of suffering with no treatment I finally go my shunt surgery scheduled! My surgeon has a great reputation but doesn't have the best bed side manor. So I'm left feeling very nervous and unsure about the surgery. I want to know what experiences you all have had with surgery? What should I expect for recovery? All my dr has really said is that it's different for everyone, which I'm sure is true, but I wanted to hear what you all have been through too.

Thanks
Surgery is June 7th!!!! I am very excited to have some hope again that maybe I won't be in constant pain. fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

VP Shunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: VP Shunt   VP Shunt I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:35 pm

When I had my first shunt in 2001, which was an LP one, I was in hospital for about 5 weeks, although I'm sure for others it might have been shorter, because I think it also depends on your surgeon. It also takes time for your shunt to acclimatise to your body at first.

I had a wound on my back and my abdomen which was stapled. My back was sore for a long time and unfortunatley I was an exception to the rule because I continued to have back problems. Not everyone who has an LP shunt has back problems as it happens rarely.

On the whole though I had it for 5 years, and was symptom free, and after my recovery I went back to working fulltime just as I was before. I had it revised to a VP shunt in 2006 because of mobility problems, and for that I in for 3 days and then home. Having a shunt has made a big difference and of course it cuts out those awful lumbar punctures. Hope this helps hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
sammishjo87
sammishjo87

VP Shunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: VP Shunt   VP Shunt I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks for your reply! I forgot to ask one question though. How much of your hair did they shave off? My dr's nurse said it would probably be a large section behind my right ear but would depend on how he decided to go in. I am going to a music festival this weekend and am debating whether or not to let my friend shave it all off for me. I kind of like the idea, because it's something I've always wanted to try and when else will I get the opportunity. Also I figured it would look better to have it all grow back at once. On the other hand of course I don't want to be bald for no reason. What do you think???
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

VP Shunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: VP Shunt   VP Shunt I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm

The surgeon I had didn't shave any of my hair for any of my VP shunts, although I did have a different surgeon once when mine was unavailable, and he shaved off very little and so it wasn't noticeable. I think it depends on your surgeon so it might be worth asking him if it will be necessary to shave off any hair, and if he does how much will it be, before you make any firm decision on whether you want to shave it all off or not first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Sponsored content

VP Shunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: VP Shunt   VP Shunt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VP Shunt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top