HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain Empty
PostSubject: IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain   IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Pain scales are widely used as pain indicators by the medical profession. In order to help those around you understand your pain, it's a good idea to adopt this method shown below, it starts at 0 and finishes at 10.

You can adopt this method, or make one of your own, so that you can communicate to your partner, parents, family and even your friends, how you are feeling in terms of headache at that time. In time when they and you, are familiar with the pain method, when you say you've a number 10 headache, they'll understand how bad it is, always keep the communication open when it comes to your IIH, it not only helps your nearest and dearest to understand, but it relieves you of the stress of constantly repeating things, and feeling like you have to justify your IIH.

It will also help you when you see your Neurosurgeon who will immediately understand what you mean when you say " I have a scale 9 headache", and will be able to identify with what you're trying to convey.
This is how it works

No Pain = 0
Mild Pain = 2>3
Moderate Pain = 5
Severe Pain = 7>9
Unbearable Pain = 10

The more you use this, the more naturally everyone around you will come to recognise the grade of your headaches.

Download this handy Pain-tracking Diary from asktheneurologist.com

Last edited by Heidi on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
JoJo123
JoJo123

PostSubject: Re: IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain   IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi,

I have used this method to describe my symptoms to my family and doctors and I find it very effective. My Doctor now asks what my level or score is and I find it helps others to understand what I am going through.

I highly recommend using this and hope it helps you as it has me.

Best regards,
Jo
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain   IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 12:09 pm

I have to agree, this is a brilliant scale, and it is very easy for everyone to understand what I am going through with my pain.

However, I have noticed now that at the hospital which I go to, they are using a different scale, the 0-3 scale.

This is the way it works

0 = No pain
1 = Slight Pain
2 = Moderate Pain
3 = Severe & Unbearable Pain

I guess it is just a condensed version of the 1-10. But this is the pain score we have come to use and it is used throughout the hospital so whoever I interact with uses the same scale, its very helpful. Very Happy

My mum and relatives are also used to the 0-3 scale as it is direct and gives little room for confusion where pain is concerned. We have found it to be very useful Smile

But like I say, this is just the hospital I go to. The main point is to find a scoring method that works for you Smile

:flower:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain   IIH - How To Use Pain Scales To Indicate Pain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top