HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

PAIN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nhopkins
nhopkins

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Sciatic nerve pain

I can handle the pain from the high pressure headaches on most days. Most.

What I can't handle are these other pains as a result of the therapeutic LP.

First it was the low pressure headache. Now it is the nerve pain shooting down my legs.

I've been so angry because I've been talking to doctor after doctor and I just can't seem to get any answers. "Oh, you're coming down with the flu." "Oh, that's normal." It's like they're not listening. I have a chronic pain disorder. I know how to deal with pain. But pain that brings me to tears like this is not normal.

I don't understand what part of a doctorate degree makes your lose your compassion...

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi Nicole, it sounds very much like it's your sciatic nerve and usually doctors prescribe an Anti-inflammatory for this. I myself have sciatic nerve problems caused by lp's and an Lp shunt so I know exactly what you're talking about.

My doctor has prescribed the tablets I mention and they do help, also I use a heat pad or hot water bottle in the bottom of my back which also helps. I would stick to your guns and ask him if he thinks it could be your sciatic nerve, or at least refer you to a physio who might be of more help.

I am a little bit [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] at him trying to tell you it might be flu as I've never heard of pains in your leg being caused by flu or a cold [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
nhopkins
nhopkins

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:08 pm

I finally got ahold of my normal neuro after talking to numerous neuro-radiologists and nurses.

He prescribed me a steroid for inflammation but I can't remember the name of the drug and I haven't picked it up yet. I was also prescribed two more days of bed rest, which unfortunately means that I will miss my entire week of work. I've only been working there about a month and it makes me nervous missing so much so soon. Hopefully since I have doctors orders they wont fire me but I guess time will tell.

Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:15 pm

I do hope that your employers understand that it is all completely out of your control, and have some understanding about it. It's either you have a few days off now and be able to return to work as normal, or make things worse and end up being off work longer. Are you in the USA or UK Nicole?
Back to top Go down
nhopkins
nhopkins

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:46 pm

I'm in the States.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Have they been understanding so far? Have you given them any information on IIH?
Back to top Go down
nhopkins
nhopkins

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 12:05 am

I didn't want to tell them at first. I started when I had just gotten relief from a LP and didn't have any problems for the first two weeks. It wasn't until last week when the symptoms came back and got really bad that I gave them just a short "heads up" about it. They seemed fairly understanding but demanded that I give them a letter from my doctor about it to keep in my file "just in case." I can tell my boss is fairly peaved at me this week because she's having to find people to cover me while I'm gone but I don't really know what to do.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 am

It might be worth getting the doctor to do you another letter and explain that he has recommended that you take time off to rest the leg and why. It isn't your fault and people get ill, I'm sure you're not the only employee who has, nor the first one to start a job and be ill, it's part of life , and your boss should know that in her position.
Back to top Go down
cath278
cath278

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 am

Hi Nicole. I have found Lyrica ( 50-75 mgs) to be great at helping with sciatica pain. I suffer from this to and usually taking it for a week to ten days stops the pain. Ask your Dr about it. Cath278
Back to top Go down
nhopkins
nhopkins

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 5:56 pm

My stupid neurologist never called in the prescription like he said he would. He sub-leases his office on Wednesdays and there is no after-hours number to get in touch with him or any one of his staff. Every other doctor just keeps telling me to go back to him but I can't talk to him until tomorrow morning. That's still approximately 21 hours away. And in the meantime, I'm in a lot of pain and nobody is helping.

I'm so sick of doctors. They're useless.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Tech Admin
Tech Admin
Laura

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 pm

If it is indeed your sciatic, as well as medication that can be taken to relieve the pain, certain excersises and stretches can also ease and sometimes take away the pain, however, you must consult your Doctor before trying any just incase it can cause more harm than good.

As I was researching alternatives to medication, I came across an interesting article that I hope you too may find helpful and interesting:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I hope this gets sorted for you very quickly!!

Laura x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PAIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: PAIN   PAIN I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PAIN

View previous topic View next topic Back to top