HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

3rd shunt failure in 5 months

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
daisy1947

daisy1947

3rd shunt failure in 5 months Empty
PostSubject: 3rd shunt failure in 5 months   3rd shunt failure in 5 months I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 4:46 am

My 25 year old daughter's 3rd shunt just obstructed - this is the 3rd one in 5 months!

Her first lp shunt was in june, obstructed in 2 weeks, then another lp shunt - then that obstructed in two weeks. They then put a shunt in the base of her brain (cisternal space) as the ventricles were too narrow to use. This one was doing well for a few months, and she was finally getting better - then worse all of a sudden. This shunt has now obstructed too! These surgeries have all been done at a major neurological / neurosurgical institute with a great reputation.

She is now admitted to the hospita having spent the day in the ER getting all sorts of tests done. She is on standby for surgery tomorow for a possible shunt revision. Neurosurgery will be here in the early am to make rounds and come up with a recommendation.....

Has anyone heard of this problem? It seems like her body keeps rejecting the shunts. Any thoughts? Prayers are welcome!

Sarah's Mom
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: 3rd shunt failure in 5 months   3rd shunt failure in 5 months I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 6:34 pm

I have had a couple of shunts fail through blockage, and I know that it can happen, and that there are some who do reject shunts like that. Do they know what is causing the obstruction and if it is something that they need to take a closer look at? I'm sure they will be doing their very best, and it is very unfortunate that this is happening. Hopefully they will be able to find a resolution for it.

Fingers crossed for your daughter and please let us know how she gets on.

Heidi

Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: 3rd shunt failure in 5 months   3rd shunt failure in 5 months I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm sorry to hear Sarah is struggling again! I do know there have been other members with this issue, but I haven't experienced it myself. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers..please keep us posted!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Julie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3rd shunt failure in 5 months   3rd shunt failure in 5 months I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3rd shunt failure in 5 months

View previous topic View next topic Back to top