HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Stevens-Johnson syndrome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Stevens-Johnson syndrome Empty
PostSubject: Stevens-Johnson syndrome   Stevens-Johnson syndrome I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 12:27 am

IIH and Stevens-Johnson syndrome

Quote :
A serious systemic (bodywide) allergic reaction with a characteristic rash involving the skin and mucous membranes, including the buccal mucosa (inside of the mouth), conjunctiva, and genital areas. Abbreviated SJS. The disease is due to a hypersensitive (allergic) reaction to one of a number of immunologic stimuli including drugs and infectious agents.
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

You can find more information here [Only admins are allowed to see this link] and Skin Association USA

and sjsawareness.org.uk
We will update this post for other countries.

Last edited by Heidi on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Krystyn<3
Krystyn<3

PostSubject: Re: Stevens-Johnson syndrome   Stevens-Johnson syndrome I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 1:37 am

My personal expiriece with Steven-Johnsons Syndrome has been

Itchy
Very Very itchy peel my skin off scratching against anything itchy. Crawl out of my skin itchy, I cannot express just how itchy.

Red Angry Bumps
that form pus like small little pimples all over my skin even "down there" after discontinueing the medication(s) it took two weeks for these little bumps to go away.

Headache
There is IIH headache, then the SJS headache. SJS headache is like IIH headache times two. I get naseous with IIH and occassionally throw up with SJS I slept next to the toilet (usually in a bathtub with cold water, oatmeal and milk)

After varying amounts of time the flesh will start to necrotize (turn black) and then it causes death. Commonly attatched to Sulfa Meds.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Stevens-Johnson syndrome   Stevens-Johnson syndrome I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:34 am

I hope your case of SJ is under control? Is that possible? Sounds absolutely miserable. Is it something that can be "cured"? I sure hope so.
Back to top Go down
Krystyn<3
Krystyn<3

PostSubject: Re: Stevens-Johnson syndrome   Stevens-Johnson syndrome I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 8:18 pm

They (the drs.) just say to stay away from meds that make you react, like it is an allergy. It is undercontrol but I can't take diamox, diretics, and A LOT of other drugs that contain even the slightest amount of Sulfa's. Sometimes, drugs have buffered Sulfas those are a toss up for me, sometimes I go all Steven-Johnsons sometimes I'm okay. It was finding out that was the worst part. Unfortunately, the drugs used to treat IIH all contain Sulfas so I am basically untreated and thus getting a Shunt.

Weird random fact that I was interested in but may be boring:
Interestingly enough before the common use of Iodine of Alcohol as antiseptics (before WWII), Sulfa was commonly used to sterilize battlefield wounds. Cases of Stevens-Johnsons Syndrome were fairly common, I suspect that a lot more people have Stevens-Johnsons and just don't know.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Stevens-Johnson syndrome   Stevens-Johnson syndrome I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 8:25 pm

You've made a very good point, and I'm glad you've highlighted this as many of us wont have been aware of the effects of sulfas. Do you know when you're getting your scheduled to have the shunt? Keep us posted. hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stevens-Johnson syndrome   Stevens-Johnson syndrome I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stevens-Johnson syndrome

View previous topic View next topic Back to top