HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

memory disorders

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yellow submarine
Yellow submarine

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 10:35 am

Hi everybody !

I'm suffering from IIH since 2006, with a remission of about 2 years. Now it's back again. I'm 38 yo
At the same time, I have bipolar disease, well balanced since about one year.

My problem is that I'm suffering from memory loss, especially short term memory. I don't know if it's because of the bipolar disease or the IIH.
Does anyone of you have memory loss, due to IIH ? 

I told to my psychiatrist that I have to write almost everything to remember. It went on for months, and getting worst.
I didn't think to tell it to the neurologist, last time I saw him. I'll have a visit in september...

Can you tell me if you've such a problem ? Thank you !
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Yes, YS, I too have memory issues.  For me, my brain has difficulty transferring info from short term to long term, so even if what I am doing is repetitive, like sorting out papers to be filed, after doing it for a few minutes, I find I have forgotten what goes into which pile.  It is very frustrating.  I have to write everything down, and right then and there, can't wait til later to even do that.  I don't know how that relates to IIH, but I think it is because of the location within the brain where all this takes place is accessible to CSF pressure.
Back to top Go down
Yellow submarine
Yellow submarine

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Yes, it is very frustrating ! Especially at work... my colleagues call my office "the post-it office" : on the desk, on the wall, and even on the desk of the computer :roll::lol1: hopefully I have a sort of organisation... which helps me to find the right post-it note at the right time dance
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 7:16 pm

When I worked post it notes were my best friend and still are. I have to write things down or I forget and you'll see that a lot of us have this problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Yellow submarine
Yellow submarine

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 8:00 pm

One point I'll have to discuss with the neurologist in september... (heavy sigh)
Do you have neuropsychologic tests to look at cognitive impairment ?
Back to top Go down
Betsy
Betsy

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 5:21 am

My organizer is my friend. If I make sure to put things in it right away. It is on my tablet computer and will give me reminders for appts, etc. even if I'm away from an internet access point. 

I'm very lucky that I have worked at my job for almost 28 years and at my current location for 12 - all the routines are in my long term memory. I joke that on a bad memory day I may get lost going home, but I can at least do my job.
Back to top Go down
DMajorly
DMajorly

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 5:41 am

I too have noticed weird things with my memory... people have always said im kind of a goofy air head but the past year or so I cant remember words as quickly or sometimes what someone has told me five minutes ago. Im not as quick in doing my job either because i feel like i dont trust myself my brain is all jumbled and im looking through everyhting twice to make sure its right! very annoying. my husband gets annoyed with me for asking the same things... i feel slower if that makes since. I really feel it has to be the iih.
Back to top Go down
dreambiglisa
dreambiglisa

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 8:38 pm

I am so glad I am not the only one with a post-it note problem. My co-workers tease me as well about my excessive use of post-its.

It is comforting knowing I am not the only one out there with excessive trouble remembering the right word. I feel like it keeps getting worse rather than getting better. I always feel awkward when I blank in the middle of a thought on a crucial word.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Have a look at this informative article written by our partners the Brain and Spine Foundation
Memory problems and tips on how to cope with them
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
harmony21506
harmony21506

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 3:32 pm

i have ih was dx in 2008, also have bipolar. but i have had the memory issues for way longer than i have had the bipolar. i think it has something to do with the pressure on our brain to be honest. i cant remember anything, i live on my calendar on my smart phone, and have reminders going off at all times of the day, even sometimes for things as simple as giving my kids and myself a shwer. its not always that bad, but when my pressure is up it get real bad.good luck
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 3:54 am

Having memory issues can be so disabling.  I switched to everything Apple.  That way when I write something in one calendar it shows up in all of them.  I sync my notes. reports, doctors visits and test results.  I also write down stuff in a spiral notebook.  That way I can indicate what day, who I talked to, what was said, etc.  It would be easier if the docs could figure out what's wrong and find a cure!!
Back to top Go down
cocker92
cocker92

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 8:30 pm

I was diagnosed with IIH 1.5 years ago.Had an emergency VP shunt sited November 2012 then revision of shunt 6 months later...I noticed my short term memory was appalling as was my spelling and communication mainly when tired. I would get my words mixed up, forget things. Spoke to my surgeon who hoped things would improve over time, but said due to the pressure it has left me with some cognitive impairment. Really sympathetic, advised to have note books to write things down, and explain to my work colleagues so they would understand.....really frustrating, but am never without a note book and pen x
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 3:25 am

It helps to have a place to keep all of your notes.  I tried to separate things into different topics but soon forgot where I left that notebook.  Now, I use my iPhone, the "notes" pad comes in very handy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

memory disorders Empty
PostSubject: Re: memory disorders   memory disorders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

memory disorders

View previous topic View next topic Back to top