HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Lp shunt update + q's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
morrise
morrise

Lp shunt update + q's Empty
PostSubject: Lp shunt update + q's   Lp shunt update + q's I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi,
Got my Lp shunt 10 days ago. All is going well I think. Low pressure headaches have eased alot in the last few days and I able to get up and move about. My vision has been perfect since op and I;ve had no whosshing or tinnitus sounds either Smile
Got my stitches out today. Slight infection in the stomach ones but nothing to worry about. Just a few questions you might be able to answer for me

1- My right is stil quite tense and I feel like I have a stitch alot of the time. Is this normal and how long does it last.
2- I find when I am sat upright for awhile my stomach starts to feel real full as if I've just eaten too much. My appetite isn't great at the moment.
3- at what stage will the low pressure headaches stop. They have eased quite a bit and I know it is stil early days. I'm just looking forward to the days when they will stop Smile

Thanks in advance

xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Lp shunt update + q's   Lp shunt update + q's I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm glad to hear everything went well and you're feeling better! Unfortunately, it all really varies. You need to give yourself a good 4-6 weeks for incisions and everything to heal, but the insides and CSF levels can take much longer. I had catheter and valve replaced for my LP shunt last year..they told me to give my stomach 6 months to heal and at least that long for my body to adjust to new levels. Of course they removed old stuff and put in new, so that's probably longer than you'll need.

1-I think it's normal to feel tension and tenderness in your abdomen..they do a lot of work placing the long catheter in there, so your body will need time to heal. Sometimes it feels like stitches are pulling because of the way they heal. Make sure your surgeon is aware, but it usually passes.
2-You probably have swelling and possibly some remaining gas from when they pumped your stomach up for surgery, especially if you haven't been moving around much. It should ease up the more you start to move around. Again, let your surgeon know if it becomes bothersome.
3-The low pressure headaches really depend on how much spinal fluid was lost during surgery and how quickly your body tends to recuperate. Try drinking fluids with a lot of caffeine and lay flat when you're resting..I would think you would start noticing a difference soon. If not, call the surgeons office to see if they have any recommendations or concerns.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific, but hopefully some of this at least put your mind at ease...you just need some good old fashioned rest and relaxation!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!
Julie
Back to top Go down
morrise
morrise

PostSubject: Re: Lp shunt update + q's   Lp shunt update + q's I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi,  2 and half week post off and happy with the results so far. Headaches are only small but there are times throughout the day that I have none Smile

Back in Dec 09 I slipped two disc's in my neck and had one of them removed. Even after this op I still had terrible pain in my shoulder and neck and then 6 months after the op I was diagnosed with IIH. I always believed that the increased pressure was causing the pain to my neck and shoulder but docs didn't believe me. But yet since the shunt I have no pain there. You've no idea happy this makes me. I had believed that I would have this pain for the rest of my life . I know its stil early days with the shunt but even if I do stil get headaches from time to time but have no neck or shoulder pain I'll be happy with that Smile.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Lp shunt update + q's   Lp shunt update + q's I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Wow, what relief!  I agree about that shoulder and neck pain.  And now it's gone.  Wonderful news!!
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Lp shunt update + q's   Lp shunt update + q's I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 7:41 pm

That's great news I am so pleased that your recovery is going so well, and that you are noticing the difference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Lp shunt update + q's   Lp shunt update + q's I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm glad you're finding some relief..it is great news!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lp shunt update + q's   Lp shunt update + q's I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lp shunt update + q's

View previous topic View next topic Back to top