HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

neuro surg questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DMajorly
DMajorly

neuro surg questions Empty
PostSubject: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Hello all. I had my neuro surgery consultation yesterday. He wants to either do a shunt or a stent.... I might have a blockage? Anyone else have that? He also said he does not know if it will help pain. Bleeehh. I know sometimes people still have pain but why? If the pressure is causing Pain? So confused and sad.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 9:08 pm

You sound like the perfect candidate for a drain test, either the lumbar or ICP bolt. They gradually lower the pressure and see if it allows you to feel better. I wonder where they think the "block" is and the location of a stent.

At least the doc is talking possible alternatives for you. Keep up the faith.
Back to top Go down
DMajorly
DMajorly

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 4:59 am

I am not sure yet about the block. He mentioned doing a brain angio to see if I have a block and where exactly. I have another appt on the 25 th so hopefully we will schedule they surgery then. This is all so confusing I feel like I should have asked more questions.... I was overwhelmed with information ;(
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 6:19 am

I think that happens to us all at some point, but you still have time to do the research & get your thoughts together. I suggest looking at the guides & print outs section for ideas on how to talk to your doctor and IHRF site for more info on stents & surgeries. Make a list of questions & concerns so you can check them off as you discuss them at your next appointment. I'd also try to take a buddy..it's nice to have a friend/family member there to help you keep things straight. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help..good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
DMajorly
DMajorly

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Thank you! I did take my mom think she ended up freaked out ;( I need help with the pain..... I'm so worried the surgery won't help. He mainly wanted to save my eyesight which is great but I need help here!
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Make sure you talk to your Neurosurgeon/Neurologist about adequate pain relief, in our booklets on talking to your Neurosurgeon and talking to your Neurologist, there are questions that you can ask on the topic of pain medication. There are many of us that have had shunts that still take prescribed pain relief when it's necessary so don't be afraid to ask about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
DMajorly
DMajorly

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 am

Thanks heidi. My neuro surgeon told me that taking nothing is best. I was like ummm well obviously but I don't feel like I have that option. My neurologist keeps trying one migraine Med after another and not one of them has made the slightest change. She doesn't believe in narcotics. So far that's all I have taken that has ever helped unfortunately. I feel like that is the only thing that sounds reasonable anymore.... is to do what helps.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 5:09 am

I get a chuckle out of these neurologists who keep prescribing migraine meds when we don't have a migraine headache, we have IIH :roll:
So Desiree, what is the plan of action? Just waiting to see the next doc on the list?
How are you feeling?

As far as your question about the pain, sometimes pain turns into "chronic pain" which is a disease in and of itself.
Another reason why it is so important to get pain under control as soon as possible to avoid that. Sometimes it is just the nerves going crazy. Sometimes the increase in the pressure causes the nerves to touch up against something and they don't like that. My nerves seen to be the happiest when I am well rested.
Back to top Go down
DMajorly
DMajorly

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 5:46 am

Ya. Its very annoying to tell your neurologist over and over that you don't have a migraine. I feel like if I'm stuck with this I need help to function andfeel human. Fingers crossed but hopefully after surgery I won't need to ask for meds like this. Maybe I will feel better. Gosh I hope. They just keep talking about saving my eyesight which is great but I can't survive in pain either. ;( I hope to know my surgery date on 25th when I see.him

Wonder why they keep pushing
migraine meds...arrg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: neuro surg questions   neuro surg questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

neuro surg questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top