HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Anyone have experience with "balance testing"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BananasMom
Admin2
Admin2
BananasMom

Anyone have experience with "balance testing"? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have experience with "balance testing"?   Anyone have experience with "balance testing"? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Balance Testing

Hi guys! Smile I've been referred to UPenn's Balance Center for "balance testing" and wondered if anyone has ever gone through this before and could possibly tell me a little bit about it? Do you really need someone to drive you home afterwards??

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to share experience.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience with "balance testing"?   Anyone have experience with "balance testing"? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 am

I am not quite certain what exactly they mean by balance testing, but if I had to take a guess, I would suspect that since they think your IIH may be caused by an antibiotic perhaps you have suffered from otitictoxicity. Some antibiotics are known for causing destruction within the inner ear hair cells that are responsible for maintaining our balance. When this happens it pays havec on our brain trying to keep us upright, and causes awful dizziness and disequilibrium. That is sort of what I have. Does any of that sound familiar? If it does, that type of testing, the ENG/VNG/VEMP/ caloric testing, rotary chair, etc. does not cause long lasting issues. I was stable again within just a few seconds after each series of tests. Had a bit of brain fog, but it was manageable.

Again, not sure if this is even what your docs were thinking!?! Could you find out a bit more info?
Back to top Go down
BananasMom
Admin2
Admin2
BananasMom

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience with "balance testing"?   Anyone have experience with "balance testing"? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:11 am

Hi! Smile Thanks for responding ... and sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you. I'm not totally sure what my doctor's theory is as to what's causing my balance issues (other than IIH itself) ... but yes, it does sound as if the actual tests you're referring to are the ones she wants to do with me. Balance and coordination are the symptoms I really tend to struggle with the most these days. I have at least one near-fall every day. I guess the testing is to try to get to the bottom of it and/or figure out how to help me.

I was just a little concerned as I have to drive 1.5 hours each way for this testing, and it's tough to find someone who can take a day off work and be my driver. I was hoping I didn't really need one ...
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience with "balance testing"?   Anyone have experience with "balance testing"? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 am

You will probably be tired but should be fine to drive. The purpose of the balance testing, from what I understand, is to determine where the cause of the dizziness/disequilibrium is coming from. It would show if it is from your inner ear(s), which one, and if your brain has the capability to compensate for any inner ear damage. It would isolate if it is from the ear(s) or from the brain itself. It is a great tool, and I would applaud your doc for going the extra mile to suggest having these tests done.
Back to top Go down
Sophiasmom
Admin2
Admin2
Sophiasmom

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience with "balance testing"?   Anyone have experience with "balance testing"? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 6:21 am

hi, I had balance testing, and I don't know why you would need someone to drive you home afterwards. unless your balance is really bad and they expect you in particular to have more dizziness afterwards? I guess I would defer to what they say you should do. the other thing is, is it straight balance testing or could it be a tilt table test? that you definitely would need a ride home after.

I went through the therapy for it and it did seem to help somewhat for awhile. this was before I knew I had IIH. now I can see a direct parallel between my dizziness/balance issues and my ICP. the worse I feel, the dizzier I am when I tilt my head. I think it is just the sensation of my ICP that changes when I tilt my head, and not a true balance issue/vestibular issue. I do have a vestibular problem, but I suspect it is somehow a consequence of the ICP, and that the sensation I get is as much ICP as it is the vestibular issue. does your balance get better if your ICP is under control?

Deb
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience with "balance testing"?   Anyone have experience with "balance testing"? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 am

What was the result of the balance testing??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have experience with "balance testing"?   Anyone have experience with "balance testing"? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top