HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Shunt Time.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
laurataylor92
laurataylor92

Shunt Time. Empty
PostSubject: Shunt Time.   Shunt Time. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Finally after almost a year I get the solution to my problem.

I am getting a VP shunt on the 24th of October.
I had the consult yesterday and when I went in I was thinking that I was getting a LP shunt, because that was what everyone was telling me I was going to be getting, but the Dr. told me that a VP shunt is much better because they can control the amount of fluid that is being drained, he said with the LP one it could drain too much and I could have a constant spinal headache, and I so hate those..
But I am excited but so scared that I have nightmares at night.
Has anyone had this procedure done and it went ok? I need reassurance, I know it will help but the waiting for two weeks is going to kill me. I have a pre op appointment on the 14th and I have no idea what I need a pre op appointment for?

Well just wanted to share I am so happy I got a solution finally.

Laura. 👅
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Shunt Time. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shunt Time.   Shunt Time. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 12:45 am

I have had several Vp shunts, and the one I have now has been working for 3 years with no problems to date. Your pre op appointment is so they can assess your general health, ask about allergies and other general health questions, they may also ask you to sign your consent form for surgery too.

The pre op appointment gives you the chance to ask your own questions and voice any concerns you may have, like for instance, whether or not it is necessary to shave the area, and if so ask about the size and amount.

The length of time you will spend in hospital afterwards will be dependent on your Neurosurgeon and your recovery after the surgery. You will have staples both in your head and abdomen, which will be dressed and kept clean. You wont be able to wash your hair until the wound on your head is completely healed and the staples are removed. There will be some pain and discomfort around the wound areas, but you will be given pain relief for that, and it does ease after a few days. You may also have some bruising.

We have a booklet that you might like to readI Have IIH Guide To Talking To Your Neurosurgeon About IIH Surgery which also has questions that you can ask your Neurosurgeon, about having a shunt.

If you would like to know more about how they perform the surgery, this link takes you to an animated demonstration. This is how the vp shunt surgery is performed and this shows and informs you about the VP shunt What is a VP Shunt and what does it do?

I hope you find this helpful and if you want o ask me any questions about living with a shunt or anything, please do so. You can PM me anytime, especially if you would like to have a chat about it in the chatbox.

Heidi hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Wylee
Wylee

Shunt Time. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shunt Time.   Shunt Time. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 2:13 am

Wow Laura, what great news!! I'll be having my lp installed the following week. Guess we'll be able to compare notes and report on the pros and cons of each! I'm looking forward to mine, hope you are looking forward to yours too. I am at the point, and I know you are, that I'll try anything to make this better.
You had so much uncertainty earlier, so glad that got worked out.
Hope you have an easy go of it and heal quickly.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Shunt Time. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shunt Time.   Shunt Time. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 2:14 pm

GOOD LUCK!! To both of you on your upcoming surgeries, Keep us updated on your progress, and if you need any questions answering or just want to chat let me know hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Wylee
Wylee

Shunt Time. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shunt Time.   Shunt Time. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 1:24 am

Laura, How are you doing??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shunt Time. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shunt Time.   Shunt Time. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shunt Time.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top