HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
laynuh
laynuh

Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet?   Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 4:12 am

I was reading an article by Michael Wall MD on idiopathic intracranial hypertension that referenced a study by newborg in 1974 where all  9 of the subjects who were put onto Kemper's rice diet lost weight and had a reversal of papilloedma. I'm intrigued.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet?   Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 2:56 am

Laynuh, it is a common misconception that being overweight CAUSES IIH.  While it can be a contributing factor, and for SOME, losing weight DOES improve their IIH symptoms, we like to think rather in terms of trying to be as healthy as you can be.  Dr. Wall is one of the few national IIH researchers.  He had been with Johns Hopkins, but I think last I saw, he's in Iowa.  I do value his opinion, but.....
Back to top Go down
laynuh
laynuh

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet?   Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 7:22 am

Ah I was just curious Very Happy ~ Honestly I had these symptoms when I was quite skinny too. I looked into the rice diet a little more and some people had good results - got healthier - lost water weight/edema but I'm not entirely certain that type of diet is safe for people using diamox or other diuretics. so new to all this. The neuro opthamologist made a big deal about the weight but the nuero I saw didn't even mention my weight.
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet?   Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 8:30 pm

I haven't tried this particular diet, but I have found that I function best on a vegetarian/raw diet. I usually try to do 51% raw (fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, etc). Honestly, I haven't really noticed a difference in reference to my IIH symptoms. I definitely feel healthier in general, which makes it easier to handle IIH. I've learned that processed foods and dyes are the devil, at least in my case. I do think it's important to remember that every one is different, so it's definitely a process of trial and error.

There have been a lot of studies regarding Vitamin A. IHRF actually provided funding for the Grzybowski-Katz Project that had interesting results (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjABahUKEwjQ_b2Pl5XHAhXDGD4KHToVCKE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcsf-regulation-research.org.ohio-state.edu%2Fhavener%2FGrzybowski_Deborah_Resume_Asst_Prof.pdf&ei=CrTDVdDQB8Ox-AG6qqCICg&usg=AFQjCNFOTOqzFcLAhieHGdcPJky30O1hHA).

I agree with Linda..talk to your physician and choose a program that supports your overall health.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet?   Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried Kemper's rice diet?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top