HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Hearing loss

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KimmiD
KimmiD

Hearing loss Empty
PostSubject: Hearing loss   Hearing loss I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Hearing loss after shunt surgery
IIH and hearing loss

I suffer from sensory neuro hearing loss. I had a lp shunt revision in May 2008, and woke up with the hearing loss. I suspect that the drastic lowering of my spinal fluid pressure caused this (based on some studies I have found online). Some days are better than others. When my hearing is at its worst, I can only make out about every other word that people are saying unless I am able to look at them directly and read their lips. Most the time, everyone sounds like chipmunks or like they are in a tunnel. It drives me crazy. Loud bass sounds vibrate inside my head, and that does nothing for the headache.

I also have tinnitus. Luckily, I don't have the constant whooshing sound anymore, but the whistle is nearly as bad. It is so high pitched and painful. Again, it does nothing for the headaches.

I mainly posted this to find out if anyone else has experienced hearing loss. I'm nearly 3 years post surgery and still my hearing has not completely returned. I'm afraid it is a permanent condition. So... anyone?
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Hearing loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing loss   Hearing loss I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi Kimmi. yes I have hearing loss, I noticed the difference after my second subtemporal decompression, and it was put down to the after effects of the surgery. As time has gone on it hasn't improved, and I like you, if I'm not looking at someone when they speak, I don't hear everything they are saying. On the days when my csf pressure is high, I struggle, and my family have got used to me talking louder when that happens, and luckily understand why.

From time to time I get the loud whistling from my tinnitus, and I can't stand loud noise or bangs. I've also noticed that I have a lot of ear wax discharge, which is most uncomfortable at times.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
KimmiD
KimmiD

Hearing loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing loss   Hearing loss I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:11 pm

Yes, high pressure days are worse than normal. Today is one of those days. My hearing is crap. My ears feel like they need to pop, but I've tried and it makes no difference, and of course, my head is ready to explode... hoping the weather will change and that will make a difference... but not holding my breath
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Hearing loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing loss   Hearing loss I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 pm

I know what you mean Hearing loss 774264 had the same problem. My ears feel like they're throbbing inside and I know it's the weather affecting my pressure. Hearing loss 491246 the weather is better tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
KimmiD
KimmiD

Hearing loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing loss   Hearing loss I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes, I think the weather here is supposed to be better for the next few days... no chance of precipitation.. but cold.. only a high of 20 Fahrenheit. Today is still overcast.. but sunshine is on its way
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Hearing loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing loss   Hearing loss I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 7:02 pm

How is your head feeling today? It's so windy and overcast here, so my ears are pinging :roll:
Back to top Go down
KimmiD
KimmiD

Hearing loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing loss   Hearing loss I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 pm

My head is bearable.... its even let me clean the kitchen and 1 bathroom today... my ears are throbbing.. and my hearing is worse than it was.... time to take a break though... I can feel the headache getting ready to go up a few notches on the pain scale... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hearing loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hearing loss   Hearing loss I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hearing loss

View previous topic View next topic Back to top