HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

UPDATE AND QUESTION

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
natashaevon
natashaevon

UPDATE AND QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: UPDATE AND QUESTION   UPDATE AND QUESTION I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 5:17 am

Hi everyone,
The last time I wrote here was my diagnosis journey. When I wrote that, I had been off of my medication for a few weeks, thinking that I could last without it. Thinking it was over. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case...silly me! The migraines and neck stiffness came back after a few months. I am now back on Diamox 500mg 2x/day. Every once in a while I will have a headache, but it's not a migraine, so that's SOME good news. My PCP also put me on Metformin 500mg 2x/day. I do not have diabetes, though. My A1C was 5.something, which was normal. When I asked my doctor why she was prescribing me this, she said it was to help with IIH and that it may even lead to a little weight loss. Has anyone else been prescribed Metformin when they DON'T have diabetes??
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

UPDATE AND QUESTION Empty
PostSubject: Re: UPDATE AND QUESTION   UPDATE AND QUESTION I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Natasha, do not beat yourself up for your symptoms coming back after stopping the Diamox.  It is a lesson that many of us had to learn, too.  We always hope that since we are feeling better this means we are "cured."  Alas, it is frequently just a sign that the Diamox is working.
I did a quick search and found that Metformin is now commonly used for women who have PCOS, which is common among women who also have IIH.  If you do have Polycycstic Ovarian Syndrome, that may be the reason for the use.
Back to top Go down

UPDATE AND QUESTION

View previous topic View next topic Back to top