HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Jenny diagnosed 2010

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
insidetheburg

Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Jenny diagnosed 2010   Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 7:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone, I'mso glad I found this site. My name is Jenny I'm 27 with 3 young children. I was diagnosed in 2003 with Chiari Malformation and had decompression surgery that same year. I had a few good years after that and had my two oldest, my boys in 2006 and 2007. When I got pregnant with my daughter in 2010 I started having all the problems again,and some very new ones. My neuro opthamologist diagnosed me with papilledema, swollen optic nerves, retinitis pigmentosa and finally he said I had intracranial hypertension. He started me on Diamox which I quit against medical advice because I was afraid of the effects it would have on my unborn daughter. So I put my health on the back burner until this year when I started having ALOT of symptoms. Flashing lights in both eyes that are there 24/7, dim vision, blurry vision, hazy/blind spots, dizziness, leg and arm weakness, feeling lightheaded. And much more. I went to my neurologist who ordered a CINE flow study on my Chiari. It came back that there was flow and plenty of space for my herniation. So now he is sending me for a repeat visual field (It was bad 3 years ago) and if it's worse he wants to do a lumbar puncture then he said we'd talk about shunts.... I have so many questions. For starters, what should I expect with a lumbar puncture? And with a shunt.... what is life like after both of them? Like I said I have 3 small kids and I'm so afraid that I will get to a point where I can no longer care for them properly... I am barely getting by now.... I', even afraid to cross the street with them cause I can't see well enough to see the cars. I'm very scared and have  very little support in my personal life because no one knows what I am going through. I really look forward to hearing from someone with experience in these situations. Thank you!
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Sophiasmom
Admin2
Admin2

PostSubject: Re: Jenny diagnosed 2010   Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 3:41 am

the most accurate results are obtained when you are on your side.
if you had multiple sticks then there is a possibility that your opening pressure was falsely lowered.
there is an alternate explanation, contained in a paper that I could send you.  private message me with your email address and I'll send it. 
Deb
Back to top Go down
Sophiasmom
Admin2
Admin2

PostSubject: Re: Jenny diagnosed 2010   Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 3:43 am

call and ask if they added the length of the needle to the measurement on the manometer.  the needles are usually 6cm so that would make it 19 if they forgot to do that.  with the sideways measurement they don't need to add that.
Back to top Go down
insidetheburg

PostSubject: Re: Jenny diagnosed 2010   Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 4:45 am

Well they inserted the needle while I was on my stomach, after the several tried. RThen they rolled me to my side to take the pressure and samples... The pressure was only 13 and the only thing weird about the samples was the red blood cell count,  but I mean they butchered my back Ijust don't understand what else could be wrong with me if it's  not elevated  icp? Everyone thought that PYC was causing my pappiledema. And I don't know what else could cause the iddues I am having .I'm really depressed cause I thought I would finally have answers,  but all I have is an unbelievably sore back.
Back to top Go down
MarkyMark

PostSubject: Re: Jenny diagnosed 2010   Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 2:56 pm

heightened red blood cell count, if low, can easily mean a traumatic puncture. with my first lp, they listed my OP as a range. the consensus on the boards has been that that meant they screwed it up. i also had a few red cells in my csf; and i am sure the bad stick was why they were ignored.
Back to top Go down
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Jenny diagnosed 2010   Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 7:01 am

Oh no, sounds like you need a repeat lp done.  They botched this one royally!  I am so sorry to hear that.
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Jenny diagnosed 2010   Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Sorry for late response! I have always had my LP's done on my stomach under fluroscopy so they can take x-ray of spine and lead needle..they usually put pillows under your stomach, so spine rolls out and easier to access..then roll you on side to drain fluid. My opening pressures have been high and low, but definitely affected by numerous pokes. You will be more sore and tender, so just monitor it and rest. Use ice for swelling and caffeine if headaches get worse when up. Hopefully you've followed up with doctor if issues continued and you're feeling better by now. Unfortunately, "normal" pressure is different for everyone, so 13 could also just be too high for you. If that's the case, your symptoms should have improved once fluid drained.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jenny diagnosed 2010   Jenny diagnosed 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jenny diagnosed 2010

View previous topic View next topic Back to top