HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Back to Work

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lizzie793
lizzie793

Back to Work  Empty
PostSubject: Back to Work    Back to Work  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Just letting everyone have a little update on how I am going on.

As you can gather from the title of my post I am finally going back to work. I start back next week on a phased return over 4 weeks building my hours up slowly. It is going to be difficult but I am ready to get back into the real world I think.

I have been take the toprimate for nearly 6 weeks now and apart from forgetting what to say quite often and a small lapse with my vision at the beginning they seem to be agreeing with me, I have not had any of the nasty side effects and all the side effects I had with the Diamox have gone. The headaches are a lot better and the ache I was having behind my eyes seems better so I am hoping at my next appointment they will be able to possibly see a slight improvement in my optic nerves although I know it is early days.

I have even been able to go back to my hobby which is singing although I don't feel I will be well enough to take part in my theatre company's next pantomime I have been able to join a small singing group they have set up and this has really giving me a boost getting back into something I love going.

As you can see I am feeling quite positive at the moment.

I will keep you posted as to how I get on with work and thank you to everyone who has read and offered me support over the last few months, this blog has certainly kept me going and has certainly been a fountain of knowledge for me.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

Back to Work  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to Work    Back to Work  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Smile What a fantastic update. So glad to hear that you are feeling so much better. Going back to work will be a big step, and I hope that you can do it with little change in how you are feeling now. I suspect you may be a bit tired next week :roll: !!

Topiramate can work very well for lots of folks, so good for you for being one of them! Let us know if you find it is helping to drop a few pounds too. I have heard that is one of the good side effects. And do keep us informed on how the return to work goes.

Keeping my fingers are cross
Back to top Go down
lizzie793
lizzie793

Back to Work  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to Work    Back to Work  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Thank you for that. I am expecting to be tired myself next week I am only doing 50% of my hours next week and only goingcto be working 3 hours each day. I work Monday Tuesday Wednesday so not too bad. Work have been great they have stated that I do a maximum of 30 minutes on the computer before taking an appropriate break and this will continue throughout the day.

I am losing weight gradually on the toprimate so it seems to be working positively for me on that front as well.

I am quite interested in your comments about how you got IIH. I myself have been told that mine was possibly caused by medication that I was given for acne last year however nearly 5 years ago I had shingles although never developed the rash because of the nature of the pain and other symptoms the doctor decided its was shingles just below my right shoulder blade. I was on amitripyline for about 12 months because of post viral pain and have suffered since with problems when I am run down etc. It has been my right side where I have been having the main issue with my eye so reading your comment has made me think as my husband has mentioned this on numerous occasions.
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

Back to Work  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to Work    Back to Work  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 1:04 am

Lizzie, that's great news! I'm so glad the Toprimate is working & side effects are manageable..you must be so excited. I also think it's amazing that your employer has been so amicable..it sounds like you'll be able to pace yourself & have time to adjust. Good luck, & congratulations!!!
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

Back to Work  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to Work    Back to Work  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 am

Interesting indeed, Lizzie. Shingles without the rash is called Zoster sine herpete. Unfortunately, it does happen and is difficult to diagnose. That distinctive Shingles rash is usually the confirming symptom. You have my deepest sympathies on the post herpetic neuralgia (PHN), which I have also. Mine has lasted 4.5 years and counting. I take Amitriptyline and Gabapentin for pain control, which probably accounts for why my headaches have always been "manageable". My Docs have been able to make the association between dizziness or disequilibrium issues and abnormal intracranial pressure. It seems that the zoster virus messed up my body's ability to get rid of the spent CSF. Possibly some of the outflow holes are goobered up. The docs don't know the exact mechanics, but it seems that is the most logical explanation, or I may have had a touch of meningitis. The zoster virus is one nasty little bug. It has left me with nasty dizziness that prevents me from being able to work (I used to drive truck long haul).
When we overdo, it can easily bring out the left over symptoms of zoster, especially the post viral fatigue (PVF). It seems to be nature's way of reminding us that we need to take care of ourselves. I still find there are days when I have to do little as possible. Just keep in mind, we never get rid of the zoster virus. It merely goes dormant. Given the opportunity, like when our immune system has been weakened, it can pop out again!!
Back to top Go down
lizzie793
lizzie793

Back to Work  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to Work    Back to Work  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Thank you for that it certainly explains a lot and I certainly know from experience that once you have this virus it never goes away although I don't have the constant pain I had when I am run down or am going to be poorly I know straight away because all the pain kicks back in and I feel lousy. I certainly have wondered pneumonia many occasions whether that could have contributed to the problem I suppose I Will never know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back to Work  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to Work    Back to Work  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back to Work

View previous topic View next topic Back to top