HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

I have been referred for a VP shunt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nikinushan
nikinushan

I have been referred for a VP shunt Empty
PostSubject: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 6:48 am

Hi, i am set to see a neuro surgeon for the first time in about two months (thats the emergency appontment) i have been referred for a VP shunt. I know nothing about this, until recently i was only told about stents, but that won't work for me apparently, my issue isn't inside my viens. I was on diamox and topamax and neither reduced my CSF and an optic nerve fenestration isn't suitable. I am petrified of the thought of someone cutting into my head. How long were you in hospital for? Where my treatments are is 4 hours away from my home. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 pm

The length of time you will spend in hospital after surgery will be dependent on your Neurosurgeon and your recovery after the surgery. You will have staples both in your head and abdomen, which will be dressed and kept clean. You wont be able to wash your hair until the wound on your head is completely healed and the staples are removed. There will be some pain and discomfort around the wound areas, but you will be given pain relief for that, and it does ease after a few days. You may also have some bruising.

We have a booklet that you might like to read I Have IIH Guide To Talking To Your Neurosurgeon About IIH Surgery which also has questions that you can ask your Neurosurgeon, about having a shunt.

Heidi I have been referred for a VP shunt 596578
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
nikinushan
nikinushan

PostSubject: Re: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks Heidi, i have already written down all those questions from the link.

I got a phone call today...i am not seeing the surgeon in two months, he is admitting me to hopsital in two weeks for testing and monitoring.. for one week...that's all i have been told. So ill meet my neuro surgeon in hospital for the first time..i am kinda freaking out..no one has really cared up to this point..why is everyone freaking out now and wanting to test me? I thought my diagnosis was confirmed..????
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 pm

I think they just want was is best for you in the long run, and perhaps they think that your vision could be at risk. When you have your appointment you'll be able to ask all these questions and get some reassurance from them. Try not too worry too much and we're always here so if you think of any more questions or just want to talk about it, don't hesistate because we will do our best to help you all we can.

Heidi hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
jgormo
jgormo

PostSubject: Re: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Nik - I would imagine considering your hospital is 4 hours away that they will want to just get you and keep you there till all tests are done instead of making you go back and forth constantly.

I had the shunt done on Thursday 1st March. I was taking to theatre at 2:30pm. They explained everything they were going to do. I was knocked out with a general anesthetic which kicked in within seconds. Unfortuently (and I will be honest) They thought I had a stroke on the table as they struggled to wake me up and I had left sided weakness so I had an emergency Cat scan. Luckily it was just my body weirding out to surgery the scan confirmed no stroke/brain bleeds and the weakness disapeared the next day. I would of been able to leave the hospital after 48 hours but my bladder went in retention (I couldn't pee) which is normal for me as I have bladder/kidney problems! I had 11 staples in my stomach and 9 in my head! The staples don;t hurt to much when they come out! The hospital gave me dressings so I could change them everyday at home!
x
Back to top Go down
nikinushan
nikinushan

PostSubject: Re: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 4:34 am

Hey everyone, i was in hopsital for 6 days, i was in high dependancy ICU for 3 days with a wire going straight into my brain to monitor my ICP, it sucked. I had 11 staples and 2 stitches in my head from it. It failed, my ICP went up to 52 while i was sleeping, it spiked when ever i layed down or moved my head. They weren't happy with the results at all so i have to go back for a lumbar drain and if that doesnt work a rickhams...so not much fun to happen but its all very interesting. Just want my sore head to go away.
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm sorry you have a sore head & aren't any closer to answers, but it seems like you're still in good spirits.. that's really important. Don't ever get discouraged or give up hope..diagnoses & treatment can be very long frustrating process, but hopefully you'll get through it & find some relief soon!

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Take care,
Julie
Back to top Go down
nikinushan
nikinushan

PostSubject: Re: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks, i think my biggest problem is they're now not sure it's IIH i have. Frustrating, but my hair is growing back!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have been referred for a VP shunt   I have been referred for a VP shunt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have been referred for a VP shunt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top