HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

It's just me

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
duckiejunkie
duckiejunkie

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:53 am

Woke up one day with a headache I couldn't explain. I couldn't comprehend. I thought I was going to die. I think a little part of me DID die that day. I haven't been the same since. Took 2 years and tons of doctors with different ideas for a correct diagnosis. Had the lp's done. Tried one, then another, then another. Went with the lp shunt since the taps would help in small spurts. The shunt seemed like the right choice. 4 months later, the headaches came back slowly. Now, 5 YEARS later, I am back a square 1. The pressure is unbearable. My eyes hurt so bad I want to scoop them out. My ears ring constantly, so loud I can barely hear what is going on around me. The pressure at the back of my skull feels like my head is just going to pop off. The swelling and numbness are making me crazy. The depression and loss of hope are weighing me down. I'm at my wits end. My husband is a great support. He and my daughter are what keep me going. I have to for them. How can I get my voice heard that I need some relief? The doctors aren't listening. They are blaming my stress and depression and lack of sleep. There is no way my headaches are that bad again. Really? Tell that to my body that is being wrecked every day with pain and swelling and numbness. My balance is so off, I fall all the time. I can barely see. I think it's time to find a new doctor. I could use a prayer and a hug.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:48 pm

A very warm welcome to the group, and I'm so glad you found us here. It's just me 539880 I am so sorry that you're having such a rough and frustrating time, and I understaqnd why you are feeling the way you do. When I had my first shunt which was an LP shunt, although it helped with the symptoms but it badly damaged the nerves in my back affecting my mobility. It took me 5 years and switching to a different Neurosurgeon before it was accepted the shunt was to blame.

It IS very upsetting, distressing and makes you angry when you know something is wrong and you can't get anyone to listen and investigate the problem. Have they considered the shunt is overdraining? LP shunts are well known to overdrain and that's why I'm surprised they haven't explored that further.

Of course you are going to be depressed, you're experiencing chronic pain on a daily basis who wouldn't be! I think it would be very prudent to find another doctor who has more experience and knowledge of IIH and who has treated it before. The IH Research Foundation offers resources for finding a doctor and it may be worth you checking out. Here is the link. Finding a doctor

We have helpful booklets on talking to your doctor and Neurosurgeon which included questions that you can put to them which you might like to have a look at. You will find them in our Useful Guides and Printouts section. You can read, download or print them off.

Keep us posted on how you get on and please make use of all our forums and information. We are always here to answer any questions and help you in any way we can.

Heidi
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Savemybrain
Savemybrain

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 am

i am so sorry you are having a horrible time, trust us when we say, you are not alone! i am so happy to have this place to read the stories, and share when i feel the need too.... i pray that you find relief soon, and am happy you have a support system, i know at times it can feel like nobody gets it, or even cares, so it is a God send to have people that do. hang in there. hug
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/IloveBandet
sinister416

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 1:11 am

I'm so sorry your having such a rough time xx Heres a bhug
Back to top Go down
http://meandmystruggle.blogspot.com/
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 2:41 pm

hugs 2 I can jump on that bandwagon too...hope you find relief soon!!!
Back to top Go down
JoJo123
JoJo123

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi,

I am sorry to hear it's gotten so bad. The way you are describing your symptoms is just how I feel right now, so I know what you are going through. My IIH has just returned with a vengeance and I am back in hospital tomorrow, but unlike you I have not had a shunt just LP and I found that to be a harrowing experience.

I hope you manage to find some relief, It really can take over your life when it's really bad so keep your chin-up and let's hope you get back to being you soon.

With a big hug from Jo xx
Back to top Go down
yaryar
yaryar

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi just you, Your story really touched me, it was so simular to my own, the discription of the pain all the same.I was rushed into hospital over 11 years ago after going to the doctors so many times and being told the same as you. Then one day I was so bad I was rushed to hopsital , they thought I had a brain tummor too, but once tested iih was what it was, I was told not much they can do and learn to live with it.Being a strong willed woman I lost it and started screaming an shouting,lol I cant do this or that.lol In the end they made an appointment for me to see a nuero man.I have lost some sight in my right eye and have all the same as you.I was told that a shunt would not be a good idea as mine flucuates daily which it does,theres not a day that Im not in pain at some level, balance ,bur vision.I cant work Id be no good to anyone, which is so hard to except even after 11 years.Im happy go lucky which helps and my family and partner are wonderful, but its hard for them to really understand as I look normal and am always smiling.I find that if I do things alot slower and rest inbetween Im better, I now take timee to rest and relax it really helps.I must admit walking is a challenge lol I feel like Im there but not there like Ive been smoking something lolI have even had comments from people saying look at her shes had a few lol not nice really. Keep smiling and if ever you need a chat im here if you like to. yaryar :flower: :flower: hug
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 12:31 am

Hello Yaryar and welcome to the forum.

11 years is a long time to have to deal with daily bouts of IIH pain. I feel for you. It sounds as though you have become quite the warrior woman. Perhaps you can start a new thread where we can talk more about your journey with IIH. I am afraid this will become lost within these others' thread. What you have to share is very important to others who are following similar paths but many, many steps behind. Your experience and knowledge will benefit many others.
Can't wait to hear more about you.

Thanks,
Linda

welcome2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

It's just me Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's just me   It's just me I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's just me

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ihaveiih.com :: Living with IIH ::   :: Women and IIH-
Jump to:  
DISCLAIMER This group is not managed by anyone in the medical profession, but by people who are either affected by, or are closely connected to IIH. Information provided on this site is meant to complement & not replace any advice or information from a health professional, users and members are reminded that medical professionals should always be consulted in all aspects of health needs.
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software
Top Disability Websites
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com