HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Nicole - diagnosed 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nhopkins
nhopkins

Nicole - diagnosed 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Nicole - diagnosed 2011   Nicole - diagnosed 2011 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Hello!

My name is Nicole. I'm 20 years old and I'm from Idaho. I was recently diagnosed with IH.

I have been struggling with the symptoms since my senior year of high school but the doctors couldn't find any reasons for the headaches or visual problems so they assumed they were just migraines. It wasn't until my eye doctor found swollen optic nerves on my annual check up this past November that he realized that anything was wrong.

I had my first LP on January 6, 2011. Officially diagnosed January 13, 2011. Prescribed 1000mgs of Diamox a day. The symptoms returned on January 21, 2011. Had my second LP on January 28, 2011. That tap leaked. Had my first blood patch on January 30, 2011 (this past Sunday). Currently having problems with back pain and nerve pain in my lower back and legs. It's been a tough month.

The hardest part of this isn't the pain for me. I've actually been doing alright at handling the symptoms and side effects. The part I'm struggling with the most is the loss of my life. Because of the IH, I was forced to quit college and leave my sorority. I have dreamed of becoming a nurse since I was little but I have slowly began to realize how unlikely it is that I'd be able to finish school and get high enough grades to be accepted into nursing school. And even if I did get a degree, nursing is a highly demanding field. And I'm just not sure my body can handle the emotional or physical stress that goes with it.
I've been living with my mom since I moved back to my hometown from college. I was hoping to move out with my boyfriend this past weekend but even something as small as moving 15 minutes away has had to wait because of my health problems. Living with my mom isn't so horrible though. I'm just the typical 20 year old, trying to gain back that independence I had in college. But it is nice to have her to take care of me. And help me through the bad times. I do love my mom so much.

That's the jist I guess. I'm still working on coming to terms with this and what it means for my life.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Nicole - diagnosed 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nicole - diagnosed 2011   Nicole - diagnosed 2011 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi Nicole and Nicole - diagnosed 2011 996753 to the group. Sweetie , you have been through so much, and I know when you're young it's hard enough as it is, and this just makes it feel harder. I too was diagnosed at 20, and I want to assure you that you can still go to college, and you could still be a nurse. You shouldn't give up on that, it's just that you need to adjust and come to terms with this conditon, then you can start to step by step reclaim your life by doing things a bit differently than before.

I went to back to college at 24, and went to work in the medical sector in an Admin capacity and then later became a Data Manager working with Excel databases. I KNOW you can go back to persuing your dream, and our aim is to help you to get there.

Your life might feel in bits at the moment, but it's a step at a time, one day at a time. You need to still believe in your capabilities and not lose focus on your goals. The best way to start is by adapting to the things you do at home, and build up from there.

We can help you Nicole, to get on with your life the way you want to. hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com

Nicole - diagnosed 2011

View previous topic View next topic Back to top