HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Weight-loss Surgery For IIH?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Have you had or considered weightloss surgery for your IIH?
YES
Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_vote_lcap36%Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_vote_rcap
 36% [ 8 ]
NO
Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_vote_lcap18%Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
THOUGHT ABOUT IT
Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_vote_lcap27%Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_vote_rcap
 27% [ 6 ]
CONSIDERING IT
Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_vote_lcap18%Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? Empty
PostSubject: Weight-loss Surgery For IIH?   Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 12:36 am

Weight loss surgery is currently one of the options suggested or offered to some sufferers of IIH. What is your opinion on it and is it something you've considered or your Neurologist has mentioned to you?

It would be interesting to see what members thoughts on this are, and how you personally feel about it. Would you have it, if it was offered or do you think it's too extreme a surgery for you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
lulollie
lulollie

PostSubject: Re: Weight-loss Surgery For IIH?   Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:36 am

well ive been told that losing weight would help but ive not been offered surgery i dont see myself as over weight as im only a size 16 and 5ft6 ....
Back to top Go down
Sammie
Sammie

PostSubject: Re: Weight-loss Surgery For IIH?   Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 am

I really want to know if someone has tried weight loss surgery to cure iih because I'm considering it over a shunt.
Back to top Go down
bearlakephoto
bearlakephoto

PostSubject: Re: Weight-loss Surgery For IIH?   Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 12:22 am

I had lapband surgery done fall of 2009. I was able to lose 30 pounds in 2 YEARS !!!! No where near what I should have. My dr chose to do very aggressive "fills", overflling my band several times. Couldnt swallow water, had to get "unfill" done. Since dx'd w/IIH I just had my band TOTALLY unfilled. I can finally , literally, take a deep breath w/o pain. I can swallow food w/o puking it up. I dont have heart burn or acid reflux. I don't have tightness or pain in my stomach/chest area.
Due to the band I was unable to take medications like a "normal" person would. I had to open my Diamox Sequels and add to applesauce, but that even made me gag trying to swallow applesauce. My dr wanted me on Topomax but I couldnt take the pills due to the band.
I think better diet education & physical exercise help would have helped me better than lapband. Now I'm stuck w/this plastic tubing and band in my insides. I"m not sure I'd undergo surgery to have it removed until my IHH is in better control.
Think long and hard before having this surgery done. I know it's a life saver to people. It's not an easy choice to do & does require a lot of dr follow ups.
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Not interested   Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 pm

I actually gained the majority of my weight after IIH diagnoses, so I'm not sure it would even be helpful. I've also had enough surgeries and bad experiences to know it's not worth the risk for me. I also wonder about long term affects on the body..I know several people that have had lap band or gastric bypass, but they either gain back the weight or end up in the hospital off and on w/ complications. I'd say try dieting and exercise first, then weigh your options..it's definitely worked for some.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Weight-loss Surgery For IIH?   Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 6:32 pm

I had never heard of anyone having complications from the lap band before. Thank you for sharing your story, bearlakephoto. That would definitely make me think twice about going that route. Medication is so important in IIH control. I would hesitate to do anything that might interfere with that ability.
I would agree with Julie. Really, really try the exercise and strict diet plan instead. Since there is no guarantee that reducing weight will really help anyway, as IIH patients we need to be kind to our bodies and eat healthy and exercise to the best of our abilities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight-loss Surgery For IIH?   Weight-loss Surgery For IIH? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weight-loss Surgery For IIH?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top