HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tanker8
Tanker8

Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done?? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done??   Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Anyone have Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestration Done.
I have had this condition for two year in december. I live in small town without alot of cases of this issues. I took Diamox for the first year, but the side effect where to much. Swelling did not go down on optic nerve and headaches got worse. Switch to Lasix and doc has been increasing dose for last year with no luck. Also I work in a very hot industail enviroment and have had issue with no be about to stay hiderated. Went to see neurosurgeon for first time friday to talk about shunts. Shunt scary me going in due to revision rates. My neurosurgeon said he would do a shunt but want me to look at optic nerve sheath fenestration first. No doctors in my area and he was going to see if he could find a doctor that does the surgry. I read that it does not do anything for headaches but portect the eye for damages. Have been get I check every three months since found condition and blind spot got alot worse at last checkup in early december. I read about surgey but have anybody had it and how are you doing?
My real fear is have it down and then have to put a shunt in for headaches later.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done??   Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Tanker, you are correct on the fenestration not helping headaches. If h.a.s are indeed an issue, I would recommend looking at the shunts instead. Not all shunts require revisions. I had an lp shunt installed Nov 1st, 2011. I have not had any additional surgeries. I do have a programmable valve on the shunt, so adjusting the setting has been very easy to do. I have had to do that every few months, but it seems we are at a good setting now. I too was very hesitant about doing the surgery. My ns agreed to trying the lp shunt, and it has worked out well for me. Yes, there are others who have had to have revisions, more so with the lp than the vp shunts, but we often only hear back from that type of patient than from the ones who have been able to resume a "normal" life and don't visit us anymore. Just something to think about.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done??   Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Tanker8, we have a new member (see her intro) that had sheath fenestration (girocks). You may want to pm her and ask her specifics.

http://www.ihaveiih.com/t1104-new-to-this-community
Back to top Go down
Tanker8
Tanker8

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done??   Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks for info
I understand that not are shunt have issues. I went into my neurosurgeous appointment ready to get a vp shunt, but he suggest to optic nerve surgey. I work on a welding shop with lot of magnetic fields and high current, my doc looking into if that will be issue with valves for shunt. My husband and I said we talk to someone about the optic nerve surgey, but doc. said it was up to us which surgey we want. Just trying to make right decision?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done??   Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone had Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestation done??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top