HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wylee
Wylee

Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic Empty
PostSubject: Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic   Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 pm

The Mayo Clinic has published some interesting information on IIH (they call it by the old name of Pseudotumor Cerebri).

Here is there info regarding meds:

Medications
Glaucoma drugs. One of the first drugs usually tried is acetazolamide (Diamox), a glaucoma drug that reduces the production of cerebrospinal fluid by at least 50 percent. Possible side effects include stomach upset, fatigue, tingling of fingers, toes and mouth, and kidney stones.
Diuretics. If acetazolamide alone isn't effective, it's sometimes combined with furosemide (Lasix), a potent diuretic that reduces fluid retention by increasing urine output.
Migraine medications. Medications typically prescribed to relieve migraines can sometimes ease the severe headaches that often accompany pseudotumor cerebri.
Back to top Go down
VDubs
VDubs

PostSubject: Re: Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic   Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 pm

never heard of furosemide (Lasix)
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic   Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 5:52 am

Lasix is a very common diuretic, or "water pill". It is frequently prescribed for heart patients.
Back to top Go down
BananasMom
Admin2
Admin2
BananasMom

PostSubject: Re: Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic   Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 am

Hmm ... very interesting. My current neuro is so opposed to combining Diamox with any other diuretic as he thinks the risks outweigh the potential benefits ... I'll be curious to see what my new neuro-opthamologist thinks about it. Thanks for posting! Smile
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic   Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:27 am

i've been taking the duo since Aug 2010. no issues. lab tests all good.
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic   Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 am

I took Diamox & Lasix together for years..some potassium, iron, & other supplements as levels dropped. As long as levels monitored it should be fine. Good luck at the next appointment!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic   Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meds for PTC, from the Mayo Clinic

View previous topic View next topic Back to top