HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

What is a Lumbar drain?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

What is a Lumbar drain? Empty
PostSubject: What is a Lumbar drain?   What is a Lumbar drain? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 1:43 am

What is a Lumbar drain?
What does a lumbar drain do?
Lumbar drain

A lumbar drain is a catheter tube which is inserted into your back much like a lumbar puncture procedure, and is connected to a bag for the csf to drain into. It is then monitored and any extra CSF drained off as ordered by the doctor. For more precise information visit UW Health
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: What is a Lumbar drain?   What is a Lumbar drain? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 7:22 pm

I had a lumbar drain test last June. I was in the hospital for 3 days. They recorded the amount of fluid that had been collected, once every hour, to see if my body produces spinal fluid on a regular basis. It is very useful for the docs who are not certain if a shunt will actually work or not, and if it will help or not.
In my case, I "passed" the test and was allowed to have a lp shunt installed (which is working well!).
Back to top Go down
hunterofangels
hunterofangels

PostSubject: Re: What is a Lumbar drain?   What is a Lumbar drain? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:37 pm

I had a lumbar drain installed when I had a pituitary tumor removed. While doing that surgery, they knicked my dura and discovered my IIH the hard way.... they couldn't get a patch to take over the leak and actually stay in place because the pressure was too high. So they put in a drain, and I too, 'passed' the test, and had an LP shunt installed. Unfortunately, mine failed in the first week, as my pressures were still too high, so they went back in and installed a more 'sufficient' one, which I have had since, but it still seems to be pretty hit or miss. The only thing about my drain that scared me, was accidentally pulling out the connector, which was painless when I actually did do it, but scared me! They came right in and fixed it though, no big deal.... it's not really painful, but it does help them find your opening and closing pressures!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is a Lumbar drain?   What is a Lumbar drain? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is a Lumbar drain?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top