HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Questions on Diamox

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aprout22
aprout22

Questions on Diamox Empty
PostSubject: Questions on Diamox   Questions on Diamox I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi Everyone Smile As some of you know, I am knew to IIH and I just started taking Diamox last Saturday. I had a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with.
I am currently taking 500 mg of Diamox 1x per day which will be increased to 2x per day on this upcoming Saturday. The first day I didn't have many side effects. I immediately couldn't drink carbonated drinks, which was okay with me, but otherwise felt fine. On Sunday I developed a dull headache. Usually I take a few Excedrin and it is gone. However, my prescription bottle says in bright bold letters NO ASPIRIN. So, I didn't take anything and decided to wait it out. I noticed some slight tingling in my right hand and foot but nothing bothersome. Also, a little nausea after eating which may or may not be related to the medication since I have been suffering from nausea for months now. By yesterday my headache had gotten so much worse that I called my neuro crying. He told me I could take the Excedrin. So I did. It helped but didn't completely eliminate the headache. Then, I worked out yesterday....trying to lose that weight lol. While working out both feet and hands went completely numb and tingly and stayed that way for hours. I know that is a side effect but will it worsen with exercise? Also, I know my neuro said I could take the Excedrin if I had to but I am scared after some of the stuff I read about Diamox and aspirin.
My pressure at my LP last Friday was 430. They removed the max amt of csf, but we are pretty sure it isn't a low pressure headache that I am suffering because it isn't positional. I have always taken something right at the beginning of my headaches and it works great. This is the first time I have let it go for multiple days like this. I am nervous to up my dose of Diamox. What can I do to minimize the side effects? and do any of you take aspirin or Excedrin with Diamox?
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Diamox   Questions on Diamox I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Unfortunately, the side effects for a lot of medications used to treat IIH read like 101 ways to kill yourself. It's important to remember that even if one person has a reaction during a drug trial they have to include it. Everyone responds differently, so I suggest keeping a symptom log. There are examples in the Useful Guides and Print Outs section. It will help you track any changes.

The symptoms you've listed have been mentioned by many other members. Some have found the side effects unbearable and others say they reduce significantly over time. As far as exercise, people with IIH can develop an intolerance. Your symptoms could have increased from the IIH or the Diamox. There are extended release formulas or you can break up doses and take them throughout the day. Pharmacists know the most about meds, so I would talk to them about any concerns regarding med interactions, etc. You will need to talk to your doctor if you decide to make any changes or delay the increase. It may just take some time for your body to adjust, so hang in there!!!

Take care,
Questions on Diamox 539880
Julie
Back to top Go down
aprout22
aprout22

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Diamox   Questions on Diamox I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Thank you, Julie Smile I am actually on the extended release pills, with the hopes that they minimize the side effects. They haven't been too annoying so far but we'll see if that changes when I start doubling up this weekend. My main concern is the aspirin and the Diamox. I guess I will have to trust my neurologist and if he says I can take it then I will take it Smile I am going to exercise again tonight so I guess I will know for sure if it is worsening the side effects or not. Thanks for your response!
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Diamox   Questions on Diamox I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 7:18 pm

You're welcome! I'd still ask the pharmacist before taking the aspirin..my doctors have almost killed me on more than one occasion..lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions on Diamox   Questions on Diamox I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions on Diamox

View previous topic View next topic Back to top