HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
seasprite
seasprite

??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ??? Empty
PostSubject: ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ???   ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ??? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 am

I was watching the 2011 IHRF patient conference proceedings on DVD. They're available in the IHRF online store.
http://www.ihrfoundation.org/intracranial/hypertension/store/C79
Anyway, during one of the sessions Dr. Katz from Ohio State Univ. said that he isn't prescribing as much Octreotide as he used to, due to insurance companies no longer covering it, and a success rate that isn't as high as the greek study.
Does anybody in here have more information on this? For me it's either Octreotide or neurosurgery. It's a no-brainer which one to try first, but I need all the facts. Or at least whatever information people's neurologists have told them. Anyone have knowlege to share?
BTW, brand name Sandostatin (octreotide) is about $10K/month! Eeek!
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ???   ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ??? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 2:47 am

I haven't seen any mention of it at all since 2011. I suppose the high cost with little success did it in.

Have you already tried all the other meds? There are many to try other than Octreotide.

BTW, I got an lp shunt because I was too chicken to do the vp shunt. Might that be a possibility for you if the meds don't work?
Back to top Go down
DMajorly
DMajorly

PostSubject: Re: ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ???   ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ??? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 8:12 pm

did the Octreotide help? Im, sorry... i read a story on this, this was next to ask my doc about since the shunt is the only thing left for me too.... I heard it was way expensive too, but if there could be 50% improvement even I want to try! I havent heard anyone mention it to me at any appt, and I wonder why if it has helped some...
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ???   ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ??? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 pm

There is a group on Facebook, created just for this topic:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105685712814270/?ref=ts&fref=ts

For sure have a close look at what they are saying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ???   ??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

??? Dr. Katz says Octreotide is falling out of favor ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top