HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Trying to find source of pain

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
susanjean

susanjean

Trying to find source of pain Empty
PostSubject: Trying to find source of pain   Trying to find source of pain I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm

I wrote a post earlier,and am wondering if this makes any sense. I am dealing with sharp pains around my tubing(of my lp shunt) and pelvic area,and am not getting answers. The last time I had a shunt study was last year,and it was ok. The neuro-othamologist stated in the report,that I no longer had IIH or my shunt was working. That struck me as a strange report. Also,does empty sella go away? And what is it? I also have a report that shows my tubing was deep in my pevis,and is now in a different position. Last year,the neurosurgeon said it was too dangerous to remove the shunt,because I have had it 10 years. I have moderate to severe intervertebral disc space narrowing at T11-12,and the tip of the tubing is at T11. Do you think either the shunt or tubing is hitting a nerve? I am getting more depressed and frustrated,because of this pain,and don't know what to do. If anyone has a similiar experiance,would love to hear from you. God bless,Susanjean
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Trying to find source of pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to find source of pain   Trying to find source of pain I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 pm

Susanjean hug, I think that your Neurosurgeon should really be investigating this, especially as it is causing you so much pain. I'm surprised he hasn't sent you for either or both an MRI or CT scan to determine whether or not the tubing was indeed hitting a nerve or causing some other problem.

I myself had my LP shunt removed because it was causing the came problems you are having, and had been from the initial surgery with it continuing to get progressively worse over the following years. At the time my Neurosurgeon had told me that at least it was preferable to blindness, while my Neurologist refused to accept that there was a problem.

It was only when I insisted on being sent to the Pain clinic, that they found that the tubing had caused damage to my sciatic nerve and surrounding nerves. I was then prescribed Gabapentin, Baclofen, Amitriptyline and Diclofenac which have controlled the pain considerably. It also helped when they revised the shunt to a VP one after my suffering for 5 years, although I am still on that medication and the damage has been permanent.

If your Neurosurgeon thinks you permanently need to be kept shunted, then perhaps ask about the possibility of a shunt revision to a VP shunt. He should be able to tell you if that is possible and give you all the necessary information about this kind of revision and if indeed it is possible.

Heidi for you
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com

Trying to find source of pain

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ihaveiih.com :: General Discussions ::   :: IIH and Medication-
Jump to:  
DISCLAIMER This group is not managed by anyone in the medical profession, but by people who are either affected by, or are closely connected to IIH. Information provided on this site is meant to complement & not replace any advice or information from a health professional, users and members are reminded that medical professionals should always be consulted in all aspects of health needs.
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software
Top Disability Websites
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com