HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Finally have my VP shunt!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lillith98
lillith98

Finally have my VP shunt! Empty
PostSubject: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

After being told I'd be getting a non-adustable LP shunt, the surgeons abruptly changed their minds and decided on a programmable VP shunt instead. I was wheeled in for a CT scan to make sure my ventricles were okay and then 5 days later had my surgery (wed the 16th may). I have a right frontal vp shunt and so far everything seems to be going well. I was discharged from hospital on the friday afternoon ( a bit early for my liking but they were desperate for beds) and have been resting since. I have pain in my head and abdomen where my wounds are but it's not anywhere near as bad as I imagined. My headaches have dissapeared, my eyes were instantly better and my tinnitus is gone completley. Occasionally I can hear the shunt draining as I stand up but it only lasts for seconds and is a small price to pay for how much better I'm feeling just now. They only shaved a small patch of hair at the front of my head and behind my ear and left me with plenty to cover up my scars. I do feel a bit nauseous when sitting upright or standing but it can be dealt with by taking some anti-emetic medication and lying down for a while.

The surgery itself went well and the shunt seems to be doing it's job. I have an appointment next week to check my eyes and to make sure everything's working/healing okay and I'm having my staples removed next Wednesday. I was scared before the surgery but now (apart from the surgery pain) I feel a million times better than I have been for a very long time and I can't wait to start getting back on track with my life. There may be bumps further down the line but right now this shunt has given me back my life and I can't wait to start living it again.

If anybody has any questions I'd be happy to answer them! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:40 pm

:well done That is awesome news..CONGRATULATIONS! I hope you have a speedy recovery & continued relief. Take care, Julie
Back to top Go down
sinister416

PostSubject: Re: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 4:16 pm

*FROM FACEBOOK*
Tracy Swartbooi-Mhluzana- that is wonderful!! Hope n pray u dnt hv any complications. There is nothing beta then getng ur life back Congratz!! unfornuately my relief did nt last long (lp shunt-Aug 11) n life is jst a battle of pain, discomfort, relyng on others.
Back to top Go down
http://meandmystruggle.blogspot.com/
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 4:45 pm

So pleased it all went well, and fingers crossed for longterm relief and improvement. hugs Heidi
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
VDubs
VDubs

PostSubject: Re: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:13 am

We are vp shunt month buddies as mine was fitted the 8th may so im a week in fount of you

Yes the tummy is a cow for hurting but it's healed a lot faster than my head

My head is right and in the side/back of my head.

Soon Hun x
Back to top Go down
BananasMom
Admin2
Admin2
BananasMom

PostSubject: Re: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 8:31 pm

That's a wonderful update! Very Happy I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well so far with your shunt. I hope it just keeps getting better and better for you! *hugs*
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:34 am

Congrats to both of you, ladies, and continued relieve for many, many years to come! cheer
Back to top Go down
claireebear
claireebear

PostSubject: Re: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 3:59 am

oh your so lucky can i ask do do have any feelings of pressure in ur neck as if you where trying to blow up a balloon i know this sounds really strange but ive had my shunt put in and i am always gettings feelings of pressure i can only describe as if you where trying with all your might to blow a balloon up that pressure in ur neck and behind ur ears and heads sorry im not very good at describing things but congrats on everything going so well for you xxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally have my VP shunt!   Finally have my VP shunt! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally have my VP shunt!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ihaveiih.com :: General Discussions ::   :: VP & VA Shunts-
Jump to:  
DISCLAIMER This group is not managed by anyone in the medical profession, but by people who are either affected by, or are closely connected to IIH. Information provided on this site is meant to complement & not replace any advice or information from a health professional, users and members are reminded that medical professionals should always be consulted in all aspects of health needs.
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software
Top Disability Websites
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com