HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Symptoms of Depression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Symptoms of Depression Empty
PostSubject: Symptoms of Depression   Symptoms of Depression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Symptoms of Depression

There are various types of depression such as major depression and bi-polar/manic depression, which many of us are familiar with and heard about. When you don't exhibit the symptoms of particular forms of depression it is classed as unspecified depression.

If you have feelings of depression everyday and it's not as severe as major depression and is a moderate to low depression, this will be diagnosed as Dysthymic depression.

There are many causes for depression, it can run in families, be triggered by the loss of a loved one, relationship breakdown, unemployment, severe illness or disability, serious accident or a change in circumstances.

Depression is treatable with the right medication and in some cases therapy. It is nothing to be ashamed of, because it can affect anyone at any time in their lives. Usually a person with depression doesn't realise that's what it is, they just know they are deeply unhappy, listless and tired, even weepy.

It is natural with a condition such as IIH to have bouts of depression, many sufferers are taking antidepressants to combat the symptoms. It is quite common for depression to go hand in hand with many serious disabilities and illnesses.

Last edited by Heidi on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: [sub]Symptoms of Depression[/sub]   Symptoms of Depression I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Here is a list of symptoms taken from Depression World who became the first registered charity for people with borderline personality disorder in the UK in 2005.

Psychological symptoms:

• Continuous low / ‘blue' mood or sadness
  • Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
  • Low self-esteem, ·tearfulness
  • Feelings of guilt
  • Feeling irritable and intolerance of others
  • Poor motivation and poor interest / difficulty making decisions
  • Lack of enjoyment
  • Suicidal thoughts / thoughts of harming someone else
  • Anxiety / obsessive worries, acts, ruminations, or images
  • Reduced sex drive
Symptoms of Depression Bar410

Physical Symptoms:

• Slowed movement / speech
  • Change in appetite / weight (usually decreased but sometimes increased) / constipation
  • Unexplained aches and pains
  • Lack of energy / lack of interest in sex
  • Menstrual disturbance

Social symptoms:

• Poor work performance
  • Reduced social activities and contact with friends
  • Reduced hobbies and interests
  • Difficulties in home and family life

Some of the symptoms associated with the manic cycle in bipolar disorder are:

• Abnormal or excessive elation
  • Unusual irritability
  • Decreased need for sleep
  • Grandiose notions
  • Increased talking
  • Racing thoughts
  • Increased sexual desire
  • Markedly increased energy
  • Poor judgment
  • Inappropriate social behaviour

Please remember only a properly trained health professional can diagnose you for depression, and not yourself or a family member or friend.

If you would like to visit Depression World to get any of their leaflets and documents visit

Depression World

OR

Depression Centre

Last edited by Heidi on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Christy Savage
Christy Savage

PostSubject: Depression   Symptoms of Depression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 am

Thankyou for the information on depression Heidi, it was very helpful.

I have just been recently diagnosed with depression and prescribed Citalapram to help with it.

Just as you described, I didnt realise that I was suffering from depression as I was just getting on with life as best I could and somehow managing. I visited my GP for another reason and he simply asked me one question and before I knew it, I was crying while he handed me a box of tissues.

It has been a difficult year for me and my husband with my health, his job worries and of course money troubles and its funny but I honestly thought I was coping OK, although I never really wanted to go out, couldnt be bothered to have conversations with people and was generally becoming introverted.

Now that the tablets are working, I find that I can see past all the bad things and focus on what is important in life. For example I am now more in love with my husband than I had ever been. We have a much better relationship and enjoy each others company again. I can be at work, think of him and my heart will do a somersault - and that hasnt happened for a while. Work is also not so much of a chore anymore. I am now beginning to be able to hold conversations with people and be genuinely interested in what they have to say.

Life has been tough and I have been very ill and still continue to be every now and then and it is a worry and it is also a constant drain as we never know how I am going to feel from one day to the next. But I am now realising all the love and support I have around me and with the backing of the doctors, life is turning a corner that I never thought was needed.

For all those people suffering similar, hang in there. There is life at the end of the tunnel and life can get better. There are people out there who will help you and you can get support, you just need to realise that you need it.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Symptoms of Depression   Symptoms of Depression I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm so pleased you found the information helpful Christie, and I'm also pleased to read that you are doing well and have been able to resume your life back to some kind of normaility. Having depression along side being ill does make things a lot tougher. It does creep up on you I think, and we often deny to ourselves as well as others, that we aren't coping. I myself went through more or less the same thing as you, so I know how difficult and life changing it can be.

It's very brave of you to talk about your depression, and also very admirable. I hope it will inspire others who have depression, or those who are very low, as they can see how you coped with it and turned your life around. You have shown that you can get back control over your life in a very positive and encouraging way. Thank you so very much for sharing this with us. hug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Symptoms of Depression   Symptoms of Depression I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Symptoms of Depression

View previous topic View next topic Back to top