HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
krazymamaz6702
krazymamaz6702

Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11 Empty
PostSubject: Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11   Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Hey everyone,

My name is Alyssa and i am 25 years old. I was diagnosed in April of this year and i will HOPEFULLY be having my shunt placement soon. I cant take feeling like this ANYMORE!!! I have had 3 spinal taps in this last few months and i am taking 2000 mg of diamox daily. my neurologist referred me to a neurosurgeon and i have an appointment Nov. 10th. Im not sure what will happen at the appointment but im hoping i just get to schedule the surgery!

My neurologist said i would most likely get a L.P shunt but i kinda want a V.P shunt. My 5 year old son has a V.P shunt for hydrocephalus and it has worked great for him. Plus i think that my son would like for me to have the same as him... most moms are trying to get matching shirts lol not me i'm picking out shunts.

Thank you for reading a lil bit about me and i REALLY appreciate this website... it has helped me SOOOO much!
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11   Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Alyssa and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are on the right track with a good team of Docs. Lucky you!!

I suspect it will be the neurosurgeon who will determine which shunt, but wouldn't that be nice to have such a unique bond with your son!!
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11   Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi Alyssa and welcome to the group!!! You've definitely been throught it w/ the Diamox and spinal taps..hopefully the neurosurgeon will just look at the opening pressures from the taps you've already had done. If you check the Useful Guides and Printouts section, you'll see one titled Talking to Your Neurosurgeon About IIH Surgery. You may want to look it over prior to your appointment..you can print it off or make some notes for your appointment. You might also find some helpful information about the different shunts at ihrfoundation.org. I've seen support for both LP and VP. Personally, I've had a LP Shunt for about 10 years. I've had a couple revisions, but it's made a HUGE difference. I think either way you'll find some relief.

Take care, and keep us posted!
Julie

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11   Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alyssa - Diagnosed in April '11

View previous topic View next topic Back to top