HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Opal Diagnosed in July of 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OpalSay
OpalSay

Opal Diagnosed in July of 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Opal Diagnosed in July of 2011   Opal Diagnosed in July of 2011 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi, my name is Opal I was just diagnosed in July. I have been having problems since September of 2010. I went through a lot of doctors to try to find out what was wrong with me. I was having numb and tingly sensations in my limbs, poor balance, slurred speech, memory issues, bladder issues. My family doctor was sure it was MS but the first neurologist that I seen said he wasn't sure he just wanted to sit and wait. My vision was decreasing, seeing weird things, it seemed like i was looking through something all the time. In July I finally found a neurologist that actually listened to me and wanted to find out what was wrong. He pretty much new what it was the first day that I seen him. He had went through all my medical records before I was seen. He sent me straight to an eye doctor and he also said that I had IIH because of how bad my optic disks were swollen. He sent me to an eye surgeon to discuss optic nerve sheath fenestration. To me that just scared me a lot, but he explained that it would only help my eyes and not the other symptoms I was having. He told me about the shunt options, and he made it clear that having a shunt would help with everything. So now since all the medications and all the ER visits I have had they decided to go with the shunt. I am going in for surgery tomorrow. Kind of scared but I am sure I will do fine. I am praying that this will give me relief, because I spend most my days laying down because of how severe my symptoms are. OH, I am married and I have three kids. I was or still am a Registered Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist. We live in Tulsa Oklahoma, and enjoy the warm weather.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Opal Diagnosed in July of 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opal Diagnosed in July of 2011   Opal Diagnosed in July of 2011 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Opal and a very warm welcome to our group. hug I'm so glad you found us especially after the time you have had leading up to being diagnosed and your shunt surgery. I know it has been an extremely worrying and scary time for you, but you seem to be in very good medical hands.

Being shunted myself, I can honestly say it has made a big difference, especially to my vision, the only time I suffer with headache now are due to migraines common with IH'ers and non IH'ers, such as barmoteric migraine and menstrual migraine.

I wish you the best of luck for your surgery tomorrow and please keep us updated on your progress. hug

Heidi for you
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com

Opal Diagnosed in July of 2011

View previous topic View next topic Back to top