HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Pain in LP shunt area

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
I_am_me
I_am_me

Pain in LP shunt area Empty
PostSubject: Pain in LP shunt area   Pain in LP shunt area I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 11:31 am

I had a LP shunt revision placed in July this year aftrer my previous shunt coiled and blocked.

Since I have had this shunt placed I have had a lot of problems suchas the sciatica straight after, Low Pressure Headaches that went when the high pressure headaches came 3 weeks after surgery but when the surgeons admitted me to hospital to get tests and an LP done it was opening of a 17 4 days after the high pressure headaches came back so they said it was "normal" pressure. Since then I have had the high pressure headaches, pain in meck and shoulders, nausea, vision problems etc but apparently it is normal to feel like this 8weeks after surgery.

The main problem is the pain in my shunt area from the back of the shunt right the way through to my tummy area, I can not lie on the left side (where the shunt is) without it really hurting. It also feels like a really sharp stabbing pain right the way along the tubing through out the day it takes my breath away when the pain comes as it really hurts.

I have had problems with the surgeon from day 1 so after he shouted at me a few hours after surgey for asking for pain releif he has discharged me after I made a formal complaint against him, My neuro was going to talk to him as my neuro is concerned about my vision (I am partially sighted through IH and my vision is deteriating) so I dont know who I have as a surgeon at the moment whether or not it is the same one I had in the past or a different one in the hospital or a total different surgeon in another hospital so I cant really phone the surgeon up to ask him/her.

Does anyone know of this pain in my shunt area is normal?

thanks for reading
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Pain in LP shunt area   Pain in LP shunt area I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 12:27 pm

It isn't normal to have the symptoms you are having 8 weeks after surgery, and they could indicate a blocked/loose shunt or even an infection. Even though the Neurosurgeon you were under is no longer your surgeon and you are under Neurology it doesn't mean that you aren't entitled to surgical care.

You could either get your GP to do a home visit and have him send you to hospital, or telephone your Neurologist and tell his secretary about the problems you are having and ask her to request he contact you as soon as he can. Another alternative is to go to A & E. If you don't get any joy from doing any of these contact your hospital's PALS and talk to them. They will be able to help you.

It is very important you are seen by someone as soon as possible, before this gets worse and becomes more serious. Please keep us updated. hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
I_am_me
I_am_me

PostSubject: Re: Pain in LP shunt area   Pain in LP shunt area I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 12:39 pm

I am at my gp tomorrow but he is rather useless as he thinks IIH=Migraines nuhuh

When I tried to phone my neuro yesterday I got through to someone who is standing in for his secretary and she said a name of a surgeon who I am under but when I asked to be put through the line was engaged and then I got cut off but when I asked at the switch board a person with his name does not exist.

Can them problems still be the case even though when they did an xray and CT scans when I was in hospital last time the shunt is in the right place and everything looked fine apparently on the results?

Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Pain in LP shunt area   Pain in LP shunt area I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Yes those problems can still happen which is why you need to be seen as soon as possible. Your GP should know you have a shunt and can not ignore the implications of the symptoms you are having, and he will also be aware of which surgeon your are under. He should be able to contact the hospital directly and speak to the necessary medical people and make arrangements for you to be seen either on the Neuro ward or A&E.
Back to top Go down
I_am_me
I_am_me

PostSubject: Re: Pain in LP shunt area   Pain in LP shunt area I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I have been refferred to 3different hospitals by 3 different gps. So I was supposed to wait until one of the hospitals decided to take to me.

I phoned the hospital where I was supposed to be be treated at the start and every single surgeon said "NO" So I am needing to put another complaint in about that hospital as they have disscharged me after my previous complaint.

Luckily another hospital not to far away (still 3 hours traveeling on the bus/train) has decided that their surgeon can see me tomorrow Very Happy So I am seeing a total new surgeon and hospital tomorrow morning. They seem much better then the last hospital already as the secretary for the surgeon has been trying to sort things out for me without me having to do to much.
Back to top Go down
I_am_me
I_am_me

PostSubject: Re: Pain in LP shunt area   Pain in LP shunt area I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 pm

I have been to see a surgeon today and he has done a LP under xray and my opening pressure was 9.5, he lowered it to 9 :shock: I dont have a clue where the headaches have came from as to me 9.5 is low but apprently it is normal.

I am getting refferred back to my GP as the surgeon is full in that hospital so he cant take me on but he was willing to see me as an emergency. So now I have no surgeon once again 😢 .

Apparently the pain in my abdomen is the shunt tubing settling in.
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Pain in LP shunt area   Pain in LP shunt area I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 4:10 pm

I am shocked that he isn't referring you to another Neurosurgeon, surely there must be one! I do hope that you manage to get the right treatment and that you wont be left stranded. Remember you always can go to PALS if you feel that you aren't being treated properly and are worried about your IIH.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pain in LP shunt area   Pain in LP shunt area I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pain in LP shunt area

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ihaveiih.com :: General Discussions ::   :: LP Shunts-
Jump to:  
DISCLAIMER This group is not managed by anyone in the medical profession, but by people who are either affected by, or are closely connected to IIH. Information provided on this site is meant to complement & not replace any advice or information from a health professional, users and members are reminded that medical professionals should always be consulted in all aspects of health needs.
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software
Top Disability Websites
Forum create on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com