HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Insomnia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Does anyone suffer from imsomnia?
Yes
Insomnia I_vote_lcap64%Insomnia I_vote_rcap
 64% [ 21 ]
No
Insomnia I_vote_lcap6%Insomnia I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Sometimes
Insomnia I_vote_lcap30%Insomnia I_vote_rcap
 30% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
Sammie
Sammie

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 5:43 am

Does anyone else have insomnia? I find myself laying in the bed unable to sleep till at least 3 or 3:30am Insomnia 480781 It really sucks cause I have sleep apnea too. Insomnia 722864 :sleep:
Back to top Go down
KMRich
Admin2
Admin2
KMRich

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Yes! My daughter (the one with IH) suffers terrible insomnia sometimes. She had to stay home from school this morning because sometimes she starts to turn into a zombie from lack of sleep. The good news, is that it's not constant, it tends to go in cycles. Other IH patients have recommended a mild sleep sedative and Melatonin. It seems to help them. Have you tried anything to help with sleep?

Karla
Back to top Go down
http://www.IHBrainPain.org
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Yes! I never seem to get more than a few hours sleep. I always find myself still reading my book at 4am, even when I've got to bed around 10ish, then I'm up again about 10am. :roll:
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Betsy
Betsy

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 3:49 am

I sleep better when I take Ambien, but then I just can't get moving the next day. I'm usually up until 2 or 3 unless I don't have to work the next day, then I'll take the Ambien and it won't matter if I can't get motivated in the morning. fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
cath278
cath278

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 am

Hi all. I hadnt slept for years and didnt realise it was all connected with IIh.
Last year, my neuro said I was so exhausted. I couldnt feel well. She started me on a course of Amitriptyline, 50mgs each night, about two hours before bedtime.
And yes, I now sleep! I still have about 1-2 nights when the pain wakes me but at least I am getting some sleep. It makes such a difference to how you deal with IIH.

Maybe you could suggest this to your dr? I hope you all get some relief! Cath.
Back to top Go down
ladonna2rose
ladonna2rose

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 pm

I average about 3.5 to 4 hrs a night, I take 1. mg of xanax around 6 pm and that dose would normally knock anyone else out for hours but I am still up until around 1 am. then am back up at 3:30 to 4 a.m. I have tried numerous meds to help me sleep, but because I cannot get treatment for my IH, I am inclined to think that the pressure is so high it makes the meds incapable of working.
Back to top Go down
cath278
cath278

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi ladonna2rose,
Can I ask? Why cant you get treatment for your IIH? Cath.
Back to top Go down
ladonna2rose
ladonna2rose

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 pm

I have been on disability for the IH since 2002, I am on Medicare and had Medicare supplemental insurance, In 2005 we experienced extreme financial problems, I was having lumbar punches done every 2 to 3 months, and had just been drained, but couldn't afford to pay my supplemental premiums, so I spoke with my insurance agent and he told me I could suspend my insurance until I needed to be drained again, then he would reinstate me, I believed him and when it was time to have another punch I called him to get reinstated and he told me he couldn't because it was a pre-existing condition. I was then told by my auto insurance agent that they should have told me that in the beginning and he advised me to contact an attorney and sue, as they are obligated in the state to give you that information before cancelling a policy. I contacted many attorneys but they all wanted payment up front, and because of our financial problems could not afford to persue the matter. My primary physician has since then been trying to find a neurologist to see me but they will not see me with just medicare unless I have the money to pay the difference up front. I have not been treated since 2005.
Back to top Go down
KimmiD
KimmiD

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 pm

LaDonna,

most states have hcap (hospital care assurance program) or something similar. Here where I live in Ohio, the local hospital and its affiliated physicians have what they call uncompensated care. You should check into this in your area. It is based upon your income level, and they should set you up with a payment plan if you do end up having to pay for some of the services.

I also suffer with insomnia. It is an every night thing. I can go to bed, and I'm still awake 3 or 4 hours later. I also have sleep apnea. Once I fall asleep, I do manage to sleep for at least 6 hours, but it's just at the wrong time of the day that I am sleeping. I'd love to be able to go to bed when my husband does and get up around the same time. But no, I'm usually falling asleep when he is getting up for work. I hate it.. I'm always exhausted...I have IIH and I usually say.... but it doesn't have me. but these days, it's getting close
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 am

I am in the same situation as most of you, I tend to stay awake until about 3-4am, and find myself still waking up at 10am, yet not being able to get to sleep during the day! Is insomnia known to be medically linked to Intracranial Hypertension?
Back to top Go down
KimmiD
KimmiD

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 6:00 am

I am not sure if insomnia has been linked by the medical or research community, but most of the IH'ers I know suffer from insomnia.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 7:27 pm

I agree, unfortunately insomnia seems to be a common problem with people who have Intracranial Hypertension

:flower:
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 9:10 pm

My doctor knew I was having issues with insomnia shortly prior to my IIH dianosis. She started me on TraZOdone 100 MG nightly. I would take it and the pain in my head would be so bad that even with TraZOdone I wasn't sleeping. It helped with my depression, but sleep was not coming. So when I finally got to see my neurologist, she lowered my TraZOdone dosage to 50 MG nightly and started me on Amitriptyline 75 mg nightly. I take that little pill and within 20 minutes I am passed out cold. In a deep sleep. And when I wake exactly 8 hours later I feel very well rested. It also acts as a migraine blocker, and anti depressant. So for me the combo of Zoloft, TraZOdone and Amitriptyline really helps battle the depression I have been struggling with and the Amitriptyline gave me back my much needed sleep (I have 2 little girlies that run this mama ragged!! ) If anyone is having issues with sleep I stronly urge you to talk to your doctor about Amitriptyline! The only weird side effects I have with it are the weird dreams. I never really used to dream and now I dream every night, the most crazy dreams ever. Last night I dreamt I was texting my mother at 4 in the morning, and we were talking about our husbands, Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt. The night before that my mode of transportation was the 3 headed dog "Fluffy" from Harry Potter 1. So if you can deal with goofy dreams at night, with no weird hangover side effects in the AM, talk to your doctor!
Back to top Go down
NoodleBug

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Yes, im lucky if i fall asleep before 3am, and i have sleeping meds/antidepressants/painmeds. Im exausted but when my head hits the pillow im wide awake. And when i do sleep i have vivid crazy dreams and sometimes i have night terrors, or sleep paralysis i think its called but its usually acompanied by some kind of nightmare. And its not from the meds, its less with the meds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Insomnia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insomnia   Insomnia I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Insomnia

View previous topic View next topic Back to top