HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Another Bad LP Experience

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Another Bad LP Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Bad LP Experience   Another Bad LP Experience I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 4:42 am

Dear all,

Last Wednesday (March 31, 2010) I was admitted for a lumbar puncture procedure. This was supposed to rectify the previous one whose doctor failed to measure my CSF pressure. I discussed the procedure with the doctor and signed in a day before for records opening. The LP was performed and things went on smoothly until he pulled out the needle and I felt very strange electric shock all over my body. I stayed for 9 hrs since the doctor recommended it after the procedure. After this long rest on the bed I stand up and I change my dress getting ready to go home, I felt a bit not quite normal as I used to feel after the previous LPs but I thought that will go as soon I rest at home or by moving myself around. When I was about to leave the hospital building, I suddenly felt ill. I lost control over my lower extremities, vision blurred, and eventually I lost consciousness and my all my body was collapsed. I am just glad that I was able to walk back to them before I went flat out. I was not able recall the rest of the events as I later was revived in the ER. I was so blessed that I passed out while still in the hospital vicinity and the emergency response team was able to take me in.

When I was revived, I was no longer ambulatory, unable to keep myself upright and I felt lethargic. Weakness crept all over me and I was moved in my hospital room with IV and on painkillers. Days passed without progress and I was kept on constant dose of pain killers. I tried contacting my doctor but since it's the weekend here, I failed to reach him. As if the same horror flashed back on me. The last hospital have deaf nurses, and not this one are staffed with ones cast in the same mold. I kept on telling them to inform my doctor about my case so he can visit and confer with me regarding my status whilst the one who is handling my case is a registered doctor that she is not versed on IIH. Still for days I waited and things are getting no better. Though the bathroom is close to my bed, getting there is an effort, my knee wobbles and I can hardly support myself. Added burden is the dud nurse caller. I needed a nurse just to get myself to the bathroom and imagine the discomfort it brings.

Few days later, after exhausting all efforts to contact my neurologist here, I was able to reach my doctor in Beirut who had handled my case previously. Once he listen to my story he was very upset and he told me that they cracked the CSF tube and there might be leakage of CSF and that needs some time to heal normally but I have to live with severe pain and severe headache. He suggested for me to inform my doctors here for a blood patch to rectify the possible leak in my epidural area.

However, much to my dismay, when I convey the suggestion to the registered doctor she said will discuss it with the consultant and anyway I am not an emergency case which she might meet him on Wednesday and approach this suggestion to his approval, and for the time being I only need to keep myself in painkillers till I am back to normal.

So here I am, with laptop wedged in my chest, trying to make most of my time in a hospital with a crappy connection. Just letting you know so you won't wonder why I have been off the forums for almost a week.

Will keep you posted and will give you the updates as soon as I get discharged. I can't do much since I can hardly get up and I am still tethered to IV line.

Cheers y'all.

Saleh
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Another Bad LP Experience   Another Bad LP Experience I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Saleh, I am so horrified and angry for you, what on earth are they doing to you over there?
It doesn't seem as if they know how to perform this procedure or how to deal with it afterwards. I do hope your own doctor manages to see you, and strongly deals with the doctors responsible for this total and utter disastrous treatment of you.

Please don't allow this to rob you of your confidence and self esteem as it is not your fault you find yourself in this unhappy position. I can not concieve the fact they DON'T see you as an emergency, :Angry: I'd hate to see what they do class as an emergency!

My prayers and thoughts are with you, as I'm sure the members of this group's are. I so hope you get better soon and can return to us. hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Another Bad LP Experience   Another Bad LP Experience I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 3:42 pm

I got to chat to Saleh yesterday, and he has recovered significantly since having the blood patch. He's hoping to be out of hospital at some point today. He sends everybody his best wishes and hopes you are all well.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Another Bad LP Experience   Another Bad LP Experience I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Dear All,

Glad that I have recovered well since my blood patch. I was discharged already from the hospital and is taking a little time off at home to rest before heading back to work soon. Thanks Heidi for the kind words, encouragements, and prayers. Being in the forum is such a gem for the spirit. Will keep on being active with posts, comments, and stories.

Saleh
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Another Bad LP Experience   Another Bad LP Experience I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 pm

It's good to see you back Saleh, and to know you're feeling a lot better :Good Luck

cheer cheer cheer
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Another Bad LP Experience   Another Bad LP Experience I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Great to have you back! Another Bad LP Experience 570271
Back to top Go down
missjean22
missjean22

PostSubject: Re: Another Bad LP Experience   Another Bad LP Experience I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:35 pm

welcome back saleh hope you feeling better Another Bad LP Experience 555421
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Bad LP Experience   Another Bad LP Experience I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Bad LP Experience

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ihaveiih.com :: Living with IIH ::  -
Jump to:  
DISCLAIMER This group is not managed by anyone in the medical profession, but by people who are either affected by, or are closely connected to IIH. Information provided on this site is meant to complement & not replace any advice or information from a health professional, users and members are reminded that medical professionals should always be consulted in all aspects of health needs.
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software
Top Disability Websites
Create free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com