HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Topiramate Considerations.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
whatsupdude
whatsupdude

Topiramate Considerations. Empty
PostSubject: Topiramate Considerations.   Topiramate Considerations. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 11:28 am

This is a report of my experience.
I took topiramate for a year and a half.
Its lead to mood swings.  emotional problems.  and has caused some complications.  I'm here to talk about some of the dangers of this drug. 

1. It interacts with some cooking herbs.
   Specificly in my experience.  I've had herniated discs in my back from mixing turmeric in my diet with this drug.  It started out intensely.  couldn't move my neck.  or reach down.  basicly spinal compression.  a bad interaction exist between drugs and supplements.  Its best to do everything you can to avoid these kinds
of mistakes.  Medicine interactions can be  damaging to your body.  And if you are taking a medecine you have to be aware of what you eat or especially if you have a regime of more than one med.  Other herbs that had a milder effect but might also have its own set of problems when taking topiramate.  or in my experience, is garlic
, ginger, allspice or clove.  Its one of those ingredients in quality ketchup.  Turmeric can be found in mustard. Its also in some condiments that's put on food before they serve it to you, that's why I don't eat out often anymore. also I don't know if cumin, mustard seed, and other powdered spices have an interaction with topiramate.  But I assume they do and I don't take eating out very casually because how it easy it would be to end up eating the wrong thing.  With topiramate,  I've personally been able to safely enjoy.  oregano, basil, cilantro, rosemary, cayenne, apple cider vinegar.  These didn't give me any problems.  An inversion table helped me with my back but one needs to get use to it slowly.  My suggestion is to eat a beat before using the inversion table.  beats are very good for circulation. 
Beats maybe good taken with topiramate.  If you were not aware,  topiramate causes blood circulation to dilate.

2.  this medecine caused me pesonality problems.  I already had some but this intensified them.  I was getting relief for my head.  and since I was feeling better I 
I thought I could go out and live expediently.  But getting on a medication means slowing down.  Instead of going about my routines to make progress in managing my condition.  I started eating ice cream, smoking cigarrettes.  eating salty foods.  and eating out.  the routines are important.  Life is so much easier when you just cut some things out.  Anyways,  I reached a point of intolerance and became very combative or difficult.  The medication had me focused on many problems. and I had lost patience and became compulsive more that usual.  Maybe  if I didn't let anger get the best of me and I wasn't so obsessive about the past, it would have provided me with better results. 
My point is be careful with these medications.  In my experience its best to avoid supplements or any food with pharmacological properties.  Like grapefruit.  these are not always easy to spot.  fennel might be one. 

So conclusively, in my experience its necessary to avoid turmeric if I'm on topiramate,
and garlic and many other things. From my experience, onions don't have an interaction with this medicine.

I'll be posting more on
Back to top Go down
whatsupdude
whatsupdude

PostSubject: Re: Topiramate Considerations.   Topiramate Considerations. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 10:16 pm

garlic and the others like clove and allspice not so much but it does aggravate my back condition in combination with topiramate.
Back to top Go down
whatsupdude
whatsupdude

PostSubject: Re: Topiramate Considerations.   Topiramate Considerations. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 10:20 pm

anyways that's it.  always do a thorough check on online between supplement,cooking herbs and meds.
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: Topiramate Considerations.   Topiramate Considerations. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks for mentioning this! It is important to remember that minerals, herbs, supplements, over-the-counter medications, and many other internal/external factors can effect medications. Unfortunately everyone reacts differently, so it is important to pay attention and be diligent when starting any new medication. This is one reason we recommend keeping a symptom log, which can include medications and foods. As always, if you have any changes once starting a medication, please make note of it and talk to your physician or pharmacist.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: Topiramate Considerations.   Topiramate Considerations. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 10:15 pm

There is a good lesson we all can learn from this:  double check any new medication with the pharmacist you are getting it from, online research and/or your doctor for possible interactions!  

Thank you for the needed reminder!
Back to top Go down
BananasMom
Admin2
Admin2
BananasMom

PostSubject: Re: Topiramate Considerations.   Topiramate Considerations. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Topiramate Considerations.   Topiramate Considerations. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Topiramate Considerations.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ihaveiih.com :: Living with IIH ::   :: Group Huddle-
Jump to:  
DISCLAIMER This group is not managed by anyone in the medical profession, but by people who are either affected by, or are closely connected to IIH. Information provided on this site is meant to complement & not replace any advice or information from a health professional, users and members are reminded that medical professionals should always be consulted in all aspects of health needs.
Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software
Top Disability Websites
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com