HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured Empty
PostSubject: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 am

I came into a bitter experience lately. I was admitted for an LP and a series of unfortunate events started to unfold. First the hospital that admitted me gave me a room way below my coverage. Later my LP was performed by an anesthesiologist referred by my doctor; and the ill trained doctor made a strainer out of my back. Instead of doing the LP with me on my side and in fetal position, he just let me sit asked me to bend and started stabbing me. Much to my dismay in the course of the procedure I felt he hit something bad that made me quiver from waist down. Feeling numb from your waist down is a no funny experience. Learning that he missed the spot, he withdrawn the needle and poked me anew. The next was more painful than the one earlier. To my relief he said my pressure was 55cm. It was way to high than expected. I was moved to a new room after the procedure. I told the nurses to inform my neurologist that the LP was completed and to facilitate my discharge. I waited, and waited till the day ended. Nothing happened and my usually less than a day procedure turned into a two day admission. Upon my discharge, I visited my neurologist and to my utter horror, he said that the doctor that performed my LP was not able to successfully measure my ICP. The only thing I went there is for my ICP to be measured and I wasted time and resource for nothing. Then another shock came in, my doctor told me that the anesthesiologist said that the reason why he was not able to get my ICP measured was allegedly my persistent complaint and movement during the procedure. This was a preposterous lie. Who will not complain when he is stabbing you silly in the back hitting you in the nerve, bone, and all? He is obviously trying to cover-up his failure which really angered me. If all doctors are like these patients will surely cower in fear every time a procedure is performed.

As a result, I was so mad and felt so deprived of appropriate care that I wrote a complaint to the hospital regarding the anesthesiologist's lame performance of my LP. This series of unfortunate events made me realize that even in medicine there are rude practitioners who do not value their patient.

I am optimistic that the hospital would take action on my complaint. I am praying that I would no longer encounter this traumatic experience in the future. But I would advice every one who have to go under LP procedure in the future, first; learn ahead of who will be the doctor that will perform the puncture, on meeting him ask him if he/she have a prior experience for puncturing for ICP measurement and not merely for CSF sample extraction. If you are not confident Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured Suspect of his/her ability try to ask your referring doctor to refer you to another doctor who is more capable. Before you let him/her stick something in your skin ask about the procedure to ensure that he/she fully understood what they are going to do for you because you are not a doll for them to practice.

I hope no one would experience the same ill fate that I had been through.

Saleh
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Saleh, I was mortified when you first told me of this experience, and applaud you for putting in a complaint. It's a traumatic and invasive procedure at best, and bad experiences like this only add to the dread of having an LP. Even reading what happened to you, not only leaves me shocked, but also feeling angry for you, and I do hope it hasn't knocked your confidence in your medical treatment too much.

I myself have had similar experiences to this, when an ill experienced doctor has performed this procedure, and hit my sciatic nerve. It's like having an electric shock. I've had lumbar punctures done in both the foetal position and sitting up, but I've learnt that it's not the position you are in that's the problem, but the doctor who does the LP.

Being blamed for the inability to get an ICP reading, on you moving about, would annoy anyone, and you are right to feel aggrieved by it and complain. Thank you for this very useful and informative advice, I'm sure it will be a big help to others who have concerns about their doctor doing a lumbar puncture.

Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured 539880
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Christy Savage
Christy Savage

PostSubject: Re: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Saleh,

Even though its been three years since my last LP, it still makes me quiver and feel quite sick at the experience you had.

Like both you and Heidi, my first ever lumbar puncture was incredibly traumatic and I hadnt even had a diagnosis at that point as I was admitted as an emergency case through A&E. The doctor didnt allow anytime for the anaesthetic to work, he punctured me several times also, ne never explained anything he was doing and I was both incredibly ill and petrified.

I put a complaint in about that doctor and was fortunate enough to have a lady called Sister Mary perform every lumbar puncture from then on. It was done elegantly and with grace and concern and after the first one she performed, I had every confidence in her from that point onwards.

It is an invasive procedure and when handled correctly doesnt need to be the traumatic experience that we are discussing. I'm hoping that any future LP's you have got an awful lot more smoothly than the one you experienced and well done you for complaining. Not enough of us do that these days and just accept what we are dealt.
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 9:36 pm

That sounds awfull, I cant imagine how you feel. I've never had a LP, my IH was too far advanced they went straight for a VP shunt to preserve my sight. Plus the Chiari complicates LP's.

Let us know how the hospital respond to your letter. Fingers crossed you wont have this experience ever again! And by writting that letter you may have stopped this happening to any one else. Smile
Back to top Go down
painoh
painoh

PostSubject: Re: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:10 pm

Saleh, thanks for sharing your story, and I hope the hospital had something to say for themselves.

My initial LP was awful too-- my ophthalmologist ordered it done by a doctor in one of those shopping center MRI places. I was laid awkwardly on my stomach, and despite having an MRI guide for needle placement, he still poked me half to death and had to re-numb and enter in a new spot.

It's actually one of my biggest fears about having symptoms again-- going back to the doctor and possibly another LP. I know there are far more skilled physicians out there, but still...it stinks.
Back to top Go down
ladonna2rose
ladonna2rose

PostSubject: Re: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Saleh,
I to emphathise with you, I had LP's done every 2 to 3 months or a little over 2 years. I also had some lying in the fetal postion and some sitting up. The very last one I had was by far the worst, a 30 minute procedure took almost 4 hours, the anth. poked me 10 times before deciding that he wasn't going to get it. I have pain now that sometimes I would swear feels just like I am being poked again, and then the muscles in my back stiffen so bad that it is hard to breathe. I has been 4 years since I have had one now, but as bad as it hurt, I would give anything to feel the little bit of relief that it gave me. Hope and pray that all goes well for you.
Back to top Go down
IdaSerafiina
IdaSerafiina

PostSubject: Re: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Saleh,

That sounds absolutely horrible! And to blame you afterwards is even worse - you were absolutely right in telling him that you were hurt, and that he stuck the needle in the wrong place. The doctors should be extra careful when dealing with people's spines, spine is a very sensitive place; has a lot of nerves to it and takes ages to heal (the cartilage and all the possible nerve damages). I hope you'll find a known and trusted doctor (like Christy) who'll perform all your future LP's (we should all have that).

Tanja

Back to top Go down
sarthur8
sarthur8

PostSubject: Re: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Saleh, I sympathise with you on this experience. I was admitted to hospital after a routine eye appointment last June and was told absolutely nothing. I was left to panic for 24 hours then sent for a CT scan.

After the scan I was sent back to my room and told nothing still until the next day when I was taken for an LP.

I had no idea what they even thought was wrong with me and had myself worried sick.

The first doctor made 12 attempts to do the job right and I felt excruciating pain each time and could feel him hitting bone or nerves, i'm not even sure which!!. He eventually gave up and went to make a phone call to see if it was absolutely necessary that I have this done. I was then sent to my room traumatized and I have never been more terrified in my whole life. An hour later a new doctor came along and had another go, 12 attempts later and he said he was successful.

Exactly one hour later I was discharged with no notes or explanation. I spent the entire summer ringing the hospital to find out what my results were and what on earth they thought I had. Each time I was told my consultant was on holidays!!!!!!

Eventually at the beginning of September my own GP made some calls and explained that I had been diagnosed with IIH and that he would push for an appt with a neurologist.

I have since been put on diamox and have had very few headaches. I occasionally forget to take my pills as I have never been on continuous medications before and when I do forget I feel headaches and the whooshing noise in my ears so I am taking from this that the diamox obviously works for me.

Now I have regular eye appointments at the hospital and there appears to be no change to the swelling on any visit. I did try reflexology before a recent appt to be told that there was possibly a slight improvement so I am going to book some more reflexology just incase!!

I'm sorry you had to suffer this but am so glad that I have found others who are experiencing the same as me. I don't feel so alone anymore as everyone looks at me and thinks 'there's nothing wrong with you!'

Stacey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured   Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saleh -Thrice Poked and Never Measured

View previous topic View next topic Back to top