HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
morrise
morrise

seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is Empty
PostSubject: seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is   seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 pm

so seen neurosurgeon today. He definitely thinks a shunt is the next step for me as I can't continue with Lp's every 3-4 weeks. I need to get a few tests done so he can decide which one to do. I feel there may be light at the end of tunnell. It may or may not work but I have to stay positive and believ it may help me and give me some sort of life back. I'm gonna have a proper look into both shunts. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. Thank you to everyone for the support you give me xxx
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is   seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:17 pm

I'm sorry to hear you have to take the plunge, but it will be so much easier on your system than the routine LP's! I feel so much better when my shunt is working properly. I've had a lumbar shunt for 11 years now and am very pleased. I have had issues with overdraining and have had a few revisions, but they were very simple surgeries and I always feel so much better!

I know you said you were going to look into both types..you may also want to take a look at the Useful Guides and Print Outs section for questions to ask the neurosurgeon. If you meditate at all, I would also suggested the guided imagery cd's offered for preparing and recovering from surgery. It made my last one so much easier than the rest..state of mind really does make a difference!

Let us know if you have any questions, and definitely keep us posted!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Julie
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1
Heidi

PostSubject: Re: seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is   seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 pm

I know it's daunting but hopefully this will make a big difference to you and the IIH. It is so much better than having multiple LP's which aren't meant to be done in the long term. You know we will answer all your questions and concerns, and talk you through the process. We're all here for you Sweetie. hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is   seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 7:34 am

Regardless of whether you and your doc decide on the vp or lp shunt, do insist on getting one with a programmable valve. It makes adjusting the amount of fluid flow so easy, and painless!!
I hope that you will soon be feeling a whole bunch better.
Back to top Go down
jonesylou
jonesylou

PostSubject: Re: seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is   seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:43 pm

i had a lp shunt placed in nov 2012 and had to have it redone 10 days later as it had twisted but they think that was because it wasnt placed properly and they couldnt see the xray properly the day after surgery as i was swollen. im finding it works ok but im still getting headaches and pressure when i cough/sneeze or anything but i think i would be 10 times worse had i not had teh shunt fitted.

hope that you get all the help and support you need in making the choice of which shunt would be best placed for you, i could only have the lp shunt as i have small (cant rememeber what they are lol) in my brain/skull so a shunt would not of worked there.
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is   seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:18 pm

They're called "ventricles." ;)
Back to top Go down
jonesylou
jonesylou

PostSubject: Re: seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is   seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 10:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]thanx wylee, head not in right frame to be thinking of things like that lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is   seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

seen neurosurgeon today - shunt it is

View previous topic View next topic Back to top