HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
millixie
millixie

LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering Empty
PostSubject: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 pm

I was admitted to hospital with failing eyesight this Friday. Despite it
taking them 7 hours to get a Dr to see me and a nightmare with failed Lumbar
Punctures I've come away with a bit of advice for those struggling.

I had 2 Registrars fail to perform an LP. 10 shots of local anaesthetic and
9 spinal needle attempts between them. I was understandably very upset after
this and just wanting to get home (I was on a bed bay with very frail patients
with chest infections on oxygen so sleeping wasn't easy!)

A lovely Dr then called an anaesthetist up to perform the LP. Boy do these
guys know what they are doing. He hooked me up to heart monitors etc. so he
could see when I was distressed, and after trying unsuccessfully in the same
spot tried by the Registrars as I was by then too sore and swollen from their
attempts, went a little further up my back and in 1st time with minimal pain.

So if you're struggling with LPs ask for a anaesthetist - they do these kind
of procedures all day every day and are fab! Anything to stop the struggle must
be worth it! :-)

Alice
Back to top Go down
Betsy
Betsy

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I have to have the lp done under flouroscopy so they can see where they put the needle and they still miss sometimes.
Betsy
Back to top Go down
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2
medmisfit

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 am

I've learned to request no students or residents too..makes things go a lot smoother. Residents are "doctors", so you have to be specific. I know they need to learn, but not when I'm already suffering. Only by fluroscopy with no students or residents for me.
Back to top Go down
Relli3131
Relli3131

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2013 4:15 pm

It took several sticks to get in the last time due to scaring and some degenerative changes. I am due for another any day and am looking forward to it because the pain has been outrageous. It is being done guided with flouroscopy this time. I'm just waiting for an appointment. fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 6:53 am

Gotta use that fluoroscope!! Makes having an lp so much easier, less painful and less stressful.
Back to top Go down
Relli3131
Relli3131

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

That's the plan this time. I'm still waiting for an appointment. I called the hospital again yesterday to find out what is taking them so long. Apparently they are trying to put a team together. (for an LP) I've had dozens of them. I wonder why this one is so special. At least one of the many I've have were guided. They mentioned something about conscious sedation and privileges... Oh boy... Just do the darn thing guided with a local. I am suffering here while they work out all of this stuff. :frustrated
Back to top Go down
Wylee
Wylee

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 2:37 am

Relli, can you contact the hospital again and explain to them that the sedation isn't necessary, that doing an lp is a simple procedure. See if you can find out who the doctor is they are planning on using and see if you can find out what the story is, I wonder if this is their first and so they don't know what to do??

I agree, while they are dinking around you are suffering, and that just is not right. I'm pulling for ya!
Back to top Go down
Relli3131
Relli3131

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm

OMG!!! Well the doctor doing the procedure is my new doctor. He has done many taps. I still don't know why my case is so darn special. Anyway. He now believes I have some inflammation and want me on prednisone for the next 9 days while they work out the details of getting my lp scheduled.

This is driving me absolutely insane!!! I miss the care I would get when I lived in New York City. My current insurance won't cover me going there or I would. I'm losing faith in my caregivers and starting over is so difficult. nervous
Back to top Go down
Relli3131
Relli3131

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Update: appt. scheduled next Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully some relief to follow. If my pressure isn't normal neurosurgery consult to follow. Any recommendations in the NY Capital Region? Help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering   LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LP Stuggles - Advice for anyone else suffering

View previous topic View next topic Back to top